5.0 out of 5 stars It's been a long wait.. it was worth it., 9 Oct. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow (PS3) (Video Game)
Castlevania is a very oldschool series and one that will be remembered well through nostalgia tinted glasses of fellow nerds the world over. It's been a long wait for the series to make it's way to the PS3 generation in style; and it looks damn beautiful. If I had to rate this game on graphics and art style alone, it would be right up there with God Of War 3, Uncharted 2, etc. Breathtakingly good visuals and astounding detail.

Gameplay is a far cry from classic Castlevania, but it's a fresh breath of air on the series as a whole and I enjoyed it. Fast paced, brutal fighting mechanics and enough blood and guts to fill at least a few olympic swimming pools. But don't be fooled... this is not just another button masher or devil may cry / god of war rip off. Some truly great things about this game shine right out from the get go - Well known and respected voice actors (Luc Picard aka Patrick Stuart being one worthy of mention among others). Atmosphere is also top notch thanks to the great sound effects, and some very H.R. Tolkien 'esque environments and themes. Story and gameplay are varied and in depth, much more so than games in this genre I felt.

A very fine game indeed. A new look at a classic series, great graphics, great story with great voice acting to boot, great fun combat and challenging little puzzles, breathtakingly good boss fights and memorable environments... the list goes on. Must buy for any true gamer.

However, I always include things I don't like to my reviews....

Combat at times can get VERY tough and overwhelming. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I had to start over on a lower difficulty setting because I could simply not keep up (same thing on God Of War 3). Fixed camera angles are also a bit awkward at times but not game breaking. Story despite being well written and well told, is predictable. But as far as bad things go thats about it.

Overall it was epic. Took me around 18 hours to complete and I will be playing through again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Oct 2010 15:23:14 BDT
megabug7 says:
Agreed with the difficulty during the combat, as I also changed the setting from normal to easy shortly into the game. Not fun if you keep dying during the combat.

Posted on 12 Oct 2010 11:51:23 BDT
I don't mean any disrespect, but you must be the easiest of people to please, a game developers perfect customer! If you judge a game's depth by graphics and voice actors alone, then we as gamers have a bleak future ahead. I would rather have graphics from ten years ago than compromise on gameplay. Uncharted 2 got the perfect balance, this title fails miserably. I took this disc out in utter frustration the other day (I'll probably never play it again) and replaced it with Saw. Not the most beautiful game to look at, but even it's basic gameplay model kicks Castlevania into touch. I'm truly sorry that you like this game.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2010 12:20:40 BDT
bigw says:
Games , just like everything are a matter of opinion. If someone likes it and enjoys it just let em be and go and enjoy whatever you like playing. 'I am truly sorry you like this game' - I mean what kind of comment is that? Everything else you said sounded quite plausabile apart from that

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2010 18:20:40 BDT
At the time of writing, 23 of 24 people found this review helpful. Hold that thought for just a while. You're totally right, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it differs from mine. I am the last person that would ever prevent someone from expressing their's. I would be very unhappy if other people bought this title on the basis that someone did little else than 'big-up' the graphics and voice actors. I stand by my comment stating I was sorry the reviewer liked the game. Their review will sway the gullible into buying a title that's all polish and no substance. Giving a game (or anything else, for that matter) a 5 star review, implies that it's a perfect example of it's genre. I wish that people could be a little more objective, but then that's what makes us all different, I suppose. I was convinced by a very high scoring magazine review to buy this title, a magazine to which, until now, I gave a lot of credibility. I don't want people to fall blindly into the same mistake. For this reason, I am, truly sorry the reviewer liked this game.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2010 12:36:28 BDT
G. Hanks says:
CJ Bennett, perhaps you're the one that is way off the mark then on your opinion of the game (especially favouring the Saw game which was pretty much universally panned.) I wouldn't give it a 5/5 but it's certainly a decent game with a few niggling flaws that happen a bit too often. 4 out of 5 may be more accurate but there's enough there to make it a worthy game, even if it does lack polish.

People who are easily pleased may annoy you but equally annoying are those that pick a decent game apart and chuck out a 1 star review just because it bugged them a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2010 01:40:40 BDT
DreamingDan says:
Well said.

Posted on 31 Oct 2010 11:04:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Oct 2010 11:04:36 GMT
Avatouir says:
I don't think the saw game was universally panned btw, just it being a typically rushed tie in it was considered playable but flawed

Posted on 25 Feb 2011 23:26:12 GMT
Good to hear a proper review from an old school gamer . Agree with ever word. Listen to the man , he knows his games!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›