5.0 out of 5 stars Vary Awesome BlackBarry, 20 Oct. 2011
This review is from: BlackBerry Torch 9810 Sim Free Smartphone - Zinc Grey (Electronics)
I got this BlackBarry Torch 9810 yesterday after having own its predecessor (BlackBarry Torch 9800) for the past year. I love BlackBarry phones and have had 5 different types over the years (Bold 1, Storm 1, Storm 2, Torch 9800, and Torch 9810). I prefer them to the iPhones mainly because of the fact that they are just so much more customable to my own personal preferences than the iPhone is. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone 4 is an awesome handset and perhaps the best one there is out there for the Internet experience, but I do prefer the BlackBarry.

Looking at the hand set there is vary little difference between the two. They are exactly the same size and shape (meaning that the 9810 will fit your 9800 covers, protectors and docking stations) and look identical elsewhere with one exception; on the 9800 you had a green and red button at the bottom of the handset. On the 9810 they are all white.

It's when you turn it on and use it that you'll notice the difference. Although I loved the 9800 I was always a little disappointed with the screen resolution. It just wasn't sharp enough, especially compared to the iPhone 4. The 9810 has a much better screen resolution, though still not perhaps as good as the iPhone 4, but it is much crisper than that on the 9800.

The 9810 also has "OS 7" which is a vast improvement on version 6 and isn't so different that you'll be lost; in fact it has many layout similarities as the 6 does.

The handset has a faster processor and larger memory and you do notice that when using it. Things are faster on the screen.

So for those of you who own a Torch 9800 and are wondering whether it's worth upgrading to the Torch 9810; I'd say yes, though if you are thinking of buying it without a contract (£400-£500) you may just want to hang on until you can get it as an upgrade via your provider. Unless, like me, you always have to have the newest gadget. :-P

I have noticed an odd thing: I am not sure if it's the handset or the OS (I believe probably the latter), but if my handset is switched off, when I power it back up it comes on and then a few seconds later hard resets itself, which takes about a minute or two to do. Only happens once per switching off though.

Also, if your phone is switched off; when you switch it back on again, if you get a text come trhough that was sent to your phone whislt it was off, the time of that text shows the delivery time (when it actually arrived on your phone after being swtiched on) rather than the actual time it was sent, so you don't actually know when it was sent. This is a thing that RIM have been told about and requested to amend since OS 4 or 5, but clearly they do not listen. As far as I am aware it happens on all BlackBarry models.

Battery Life: Though I haven't really had the handset long enough to assess the battery life, the battery is the exact same type as the BlackBarry Torch 9800 has (so now I have a spare battery :-D). I have had the handset on standby for the past 24 hours but most of that time the radio (signal) was turned off as I was in a no signal area) but in that time I have also been on FaceBook and sent and received a lot of texts and emails and I am still on 95% battery. I am back in a vary poor signal area for the next 24 hours so I will keep the signal on (which drains more battery power as the phone searches for a signal) and tomorrow I will post the battery results on here.

Edit: For the past 24 hours the phone has been out of signal range, save for a few minutes once every few hours during which time I sent and recieved many texts and emails, yet I kept the phone searching for a signal all that time to make the battery work hard. 24 hours later and the battery is at about 20-25% full. Had I been in a strong signal area for all of the past 24 hours I am confident that the battery would have a lot more power in it. I have tended, with all my BlackBarry models I have owned, to charge the battery fully once it drops below 50% and this seems to be a good way to do it as the battery tends to work a lot better that way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Oct 2011 04:12:54 BDT
bengoey says:
What is battery life like?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2011 08:43:13 BDT
Hi

The battery itself is the exact same type as found in the BlackBarry Torch 9800. I haven't had the phone long enough to really assess the battery life but it appears to be vary good. I have had it on standby for 24 hours and I am down to 95% (though I have had the signal off as I was in a no siganl area for a while).

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2011 08:49:35 BDT
bengoey says:

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2011 09:11:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2011 09:12:08 BDT
Traffic says:
No proplem. I am going to do a 24-hour test on the battery today and I will post the results tomorrow. The test will basically be leaving the phone on over a 24 hour period where there is no signal. The phone will try to search for a signal at various times and so drain the battery.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2011 23:46:51 BDT
hi
that is a nice review thank you
im very much the same as yourself
i had the 9800 and upgraded to the 9810 and loving it,
however i didnt realise that charging the battery when its just below the 50%mark improves the battery life, i was always led to believe that doing that diminishes it,
im intrigued at that!

i had the 9800 and upgraded to the 9810 and loving it,
im intrigued at that!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2011 07:40:16 BDT
Traffic says:
Hi, yes with most phones it is best to let the battery totally drain down before charging it, but the general opinion amongh BlackBarry users is that the battery it uses is kept more effective if not allowed to drain too much. I have certainly noticed that if I do not allow mine to drop below 50%, it seems to cause the battery to drain slower from 100% down to 50% than if I only charged it when it was exhausted, if that makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2011 01:18:06 BDT
Hi Traffic
My 9810 battery is still very much full from its first initial charge from new after I drained it completely
So may give that a try once it hits the 50% mark
Thanks again for your reply

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2011 02:13:50 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Nov 2011 02:14:50 GMT]

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 13:32:32 GMT
Why do you spell it 'BlackBarry'?!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (63 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £78.99