ARRAY(0xaa93057c)

5.0 out of 5 stars just a bit too short..., 8 April 2012
This review is from: The Passage (The Passage Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I usually think I'm missing something when I read a book and really enjoy it, and then see that it got rubbish reviews. This time I'm quite sure that I'm right and those who don't like this book are wrong!
As almost every one on either side of The Passage debate has pointed out, the sudden change of plot a third of the way through the book does indeed jar, and it feels like someone's put two different books inside the same cover, but to say that the second part of the story is boring, or lacks any engaging characters, well, that's just plain silly. I was dismayed at the sudden end of the first part of the book. I had become really involved in the characters and the situation. The end was abrupt. Well, maybe it was meant to be, maybe the world is supposed to end unexpectedly. I found myself thinking in exclamation marks and question marks.
UH? !!!
And then you start again, new characters, new (and alien) situation, new world. So, it made sense to me that the second part of the book was different to the first, because it IS a different story. A less creative writer might have gone for the easy option of the expected course of plot development, but I think Mr Cronin tried something a little more daring and different, and I think to a large degree, if not totally, he succeeded.
I will be buying The Twelve when it comes out, and I don't care if I AM a bit thick, I will enjoy it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Apr 2012 09:54:41 BDT
Kevan James says:
I'm with you Andy! Loved the book and looking forward to "The Twelve".

Posted on 3 May 2012 09:54:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 09:54:59 BDT
DaisyDaisy says:
I absolutely loved the book too! Can't wait for the next one!

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 14:08:46 BDT
Deppjules says:
Just finished reading The Passage today. I also found myself thing what?!!! at the end. But it really is a fantastic read. Also can't wait for the next one.

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 09:49:09 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
At 1010 pages, calling it "too short" is a tad unfair :-)

Although to be sure, I'm enjoying it so much I think maybe another 500 pages tacked on would be nice. Looking forward to Part 2. Have it in pre-order

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 00:41:36 BDT
Can't believe anyone is daft enough to buy into the remainder of this trilogy. I wish I had waited for the Hollywood blockbuster - it would have saved me lot of time!

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 21:01:58 BDT
I loved this book & have recommended it to a wide range of friends - all of whom have read it avidly & signed up to the early release of 'The Twelve', which says more about the book than I can! Can't wait, have ordered the hard back (despite having a kindle) & after a holiday mishap have just reordered 'The Passage', just so I can reread it at my leisure!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (526 customer reviews)

3.99