5.0 out of 5 stars E-PRANCE New Mini 0801 with GPS, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: E-PRANCE® New Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60 Chip 5M pixel CMOS Car DVR Recorder + High Resolution Full HD 1080P 30 FPS, OV2710 + G-sensor License Plate + H.264 + 135 Degree Wide Angle View + GPS Logger + Build-in 8GB Memory,Support HDMI/TV Out (Electronics)
I decided to install a video recorder in the car after an incident in Austria last year when I was stopped by the police and accused of causing an accident. Fortunately I was able to persuade them, despite language problems, that the incident had occurred before I passed the scene but a recording would have been simpler and saved me an hour's lost time. The E-PRANCE appealed because of its small size and, from other reviews, its reliability. I opted for the GPS version partly because it looks fun to play with and partly because I think having the speed recorded could be an advantage, since I usually drive within speed limits. Displaying the speed is switchable, as is recording sound inside the car.
The device was delivered very quickly and was easy to install. It starts recording as soon as power is supplied, so connecting it to a power source linked to the ignition means that all journeys are recorded automatically. It's easy to remove from the car, leaving all the wiring in place, but it's so small and inobtrusive that I leave mine in the car all the time.
Following advice from E-PRANCE I bought a 32GB Class 6 micro SDHC card and it has been completely trouble-free. The recording can be made in 1min, 3min or 5min blocks which are seamless and I estimate my 32GB card will give me over 6 hours recording before it starts to overwrite itself. Blocks can easily be “locked” to prevent overwriting.
The recorded video is a series of .mov files which can be viewed on the device (not good – too small a picture) or on a PC, either by connecting the device directly via USB 2.0 or by removing the memory card from the device and using a card reader. You can either use your favourite .mov file viewer and watch 1 block at a time or there is software supplied which enables you to watch the video as a continuous stream from a chosen starting point, alongside either a map or GoogleEarth view which tracks your journey - this software caused me problems. At first the map/satellite view was blank. After a while it began to work but was clearly the wrong location - I was driving on the M3 whilst the picture showed me entering Dover Harbour from the Channel. I realised that, whilst the video showed my location as 1 deg west, the satellite/map was 1 deg east. E-PRANCE solved this by sending me replacement software and now all is well - extremely good customer service.
Apparently earlier versions of the Mini 0801 gave speed in Kph, mine shows Mph on the recorded video, although the "speedometer" displayed with the satellite image shows Kph.
I’ve used it in bright sunlight, directly into low sun, dusk and unlit country lanes and the exposure is always adequate. If you can see it clearly whilst you’re driving you’ll see it clearly on the video and the video quality is easily good enough to be able to read number plates.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2014 23:32:31 GMT
L S says:
Hi there,
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope all is fine.
Austria seems to be nasty with dashcams. I am reading on Wikipedia about fees around 10k due to not allowed use, however apparently there is an exception for visitors (which is basically also my plate from Germany) just filming for holiday videos. The thing is that the Austrian ASFINAG is checking for toll tickets very often, because I am crossing the border like three times a week, and that would not be nice because you have high likelihood of seeing those guys and they seeing your car, exactly where the cam is fitted.
If you are from Austria or living there or any experience, I would appreciate feedback. PS I am also using the same dashcam from now, hope it is great, but I see the difference to a cheaper one which I tested before.
Regards

Posted on 15 Jan 2014 21:25:46 GMT
E says:
I have just purchased one of these and I am also having problems with the GPS showing me as driving in the sea and in different part of the country and travelling in the opposite direction! I have e mailed the contact name I was sent with the product. I hope I receive the same customer service that you did and that my problem is resolved - wish me luck.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›