5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give this 10 stars?, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
I wanted to use this for a while before writing a review, to see how it performed under different circumstances. To start with, my hair is about 4" past my shoulders, medium-thick and heavily processed with dyes/bleached highlights, then dyed again over the years. It is naturally very wavy and frizzy. I've had the lower end Remington for about 3 years now and was very pleased with it, but it started to pack it in, so I went searching for a replacement. After reading hundreds of reviews (both here and YouTube) I finally settled on the Remington Pearl.

The first thing I noticed about it was how good it felt in my hand; not cheap or flimsy at all, but a good sturdy feel to it. It heated up within seconds on 235 C. (probably about 10) and was ready to use. The straightener glided through my hair very smoothly; no pulling or snagging of any kind. I didn't even have to section my hair to get a pin-straight look and at the most, it took 2 swipes of the straightener in some sections. I was very surprised at how soft my hair felt - even the ends were soft!

So testing this out in different conditions, the first day I used it was particularly hot and humid. Within an hour, my hair would normally start to frizz and by the end of the day I'd have to re-straighten it if I were going out, but I didn't have that problem here. It was as pin-straight and soft at 7pm as it was at 7am. The next morning, I noticed that it was still very straight - didn't have to use the straightener at all, and again, it was a very hot and humid day.

The next time I used the straightener was the ultimate test. I had washed/straightened my hair 2 days prior to going into an indoor pool. Knowing I'd take a shower when I got home, I put my hair up in a very tight pony-tail in the morning. I didn't go in the pool myself - I was spectating aqua-therapy. When I got home (it was the hottest day of the year), I took my pony-tail holder out fully expecting a large kink/line across the back of my hair from it being in a tight pony-tail since morning and going through extreme heat and humidity all day. What I saw was pin-straight hair! No lines at all - you'd never know I wore my hair in a pony all day. I was very, very pleased.

I've also tested this by walking the dog in late night dew/mist - which would have frizzed my hair like crazy, but it didn't frizz at all. I've never had a straightener that kept my hair so very straight under these kinds of conditions. I can walk/hike for miles in heat and humidity and sweat like crazy knowing my hair won't kink or frizz or lose it's straightness or softness.

Without question, these are the best hair straighteners anyone can buy at any price. Not even my hair dressers GHD's gave my straight hair lasting powder like these can.

The carry pouch that comes with the straighteners is lovely with room to put extra little hair things in and protects the straighteners quite well. The temperature buttons on the side of the straightener does not interfere with the use of the straightener. I've got big hands and it's not a problem; besides, you can lock your temperature setting so that if you do accidentally push the temperature up/down button during straightening, it won't move.

I was debating on getting the Remington Keratin straighteners instead of these, but after seeing on YouTube how the strip of Keratin is "elevated" on the plate, and the complaints people had about it leaving a "dented" line in their hair, I chose the Pearl instead and am very glad with my decision. I can't imagine how these could be improved - they are, in my opinion, THE best straighteners available.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]