4.0 out of 5 stars Hub great, supplied power adapter is another matter., 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: DIGIFLEX High Speed 7 Port USB 2.0 HUB+UK AC Power Adapter Cable (Electronics)
The hub itself is excellent. Compact, USB 2.0 compliant and works fine. However, the power supply provided with this hub is very poor.

As an electronics engineer I always test the power-supply adapter that is supplied with new products I have purchased before plugging them into the product. Given that for a USB hub the power adapter will be responsible for providing power to all my cherished bus-powered USB devices, a faulty power supply can potentially damage much more than just the hub itself.

When testing the power supply provided with this hub I have found that it is of a very poor design. During testing under various loads (but within the manufacturer's stated rating of 500mA +/-30mA) I had a DC output voltage swing of between 4.2V and 6.1V. USB 2.0 powered devices require a regulated supply of between 4.75V and 5.25V. Under-voltage can cause malfunction of USB devices and over-voltage can cause permanent damage.

If you purchase this hub I would recommend replacing the supplied power supply with a good quality regulated DC adapter capable of at least 1A at 5V.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Sep 2010 21:27:22 BDT
M. Mckay says:
Is it possible for advice on where to get something like this? (Thanks for the great advice though!)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2010 10:11:50 GMT
charon says:
Try Waters and Stanton. www.wsplc.com. They sell a multi-voltage regulated PSU for 15 or so. I have one and it is just the job.

Posted on 26 Nov 2010 08:31:10 GMT
The Hub itself is well designed, BUT!
I have also replaced the P/s with a good quality unit as tha original unit got very very hot, these sort of temperatures are not good for safety reasons.
John Bentley Liverpool.

Posted on 30 Dec 2010 00:32:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2010 00:34:02 GMT
"QuickBrew" says:
It would be nice to hear what Digiflex have to say about this. I have just ordered one of these (I would not have done if I had read all the reviews first) I certainly don't want to run my peripheral devices on too high a voltage and fry them - nor do I want to set the place on fire with a red-hot power pack.
I wonder if Amazon themselves have got anything to say on this matter.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2010 08:03:36 GMT
The hub itself was a neat device that fitted into the space available, therefore worth keeping. So a visit to Maplin produced a larger regulated supply, this runs 24HRS a day,cost about 20, BUT I don,t have to worry about my house going on fire as it runs stone cold and gives me piece of mind.
John Bentley. Liverpool.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2010 12:54:58 GMT
"QuickBrew" says:
Thanks John, Looks like discretion is the better part of valour then - I will visit Maplin.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2011 18:07:44 GMT
Mary says:
I too wish i had read the review before placing my order, have concerns about over heating/ damage I would like to know what amazon feel about possible fire risk. safety is of utmost importance.TRIXES High Speed 7 Port USB 2.0 HUB and UK AC Power Adapter Cable

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2011 19:36:04 GMT
Mary
One if the best Hubs on the amazon site is the Belkin F5u701PukBLK USB 2.0 7 Port Mobile Hub- Black. with a total order value of 10 20. Included in the price is a really large P/s that runs very cool, the type you would buy in an electronic component shop for about 15.
John Bentley. Liverpool.

Posted on 22 Mar 2011 19:30:58 GMT
G. Shyne says:
It seems as if I have wasted my money buying this product. The only good thing is that I haven't started to use mine as yet. And to know I bought two, one for my PC and the other for m y Power Mac!

Thanks for all your reviews!

It's time to return them.

I quote;

"QuickBrew" says:

I wonder if Amazon themselves have got anything to say on this matter.

Especially as I'm returning both of mine.

Posted on 3 Jul 2011 14:56:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2011 14:54:24 BDT
Poppa Mintin says:
Thanks for the warning, I've hunted out an old Motorola mobile phone charger with 5V @ 850 mA output (1.8 Metres). Which, as a retired electronics design engineer, I shall be able to adapt for use with the USB hub when it arrives and I can find the type, size and polarity of the connector.
Since you say that the supplied PSU is reputedly rated at 470 - 530 mA, 850 mA ought to be ok.

Ok, Device has arrived, I see what you mean about the PSU... doesn't look too cleaver. Finding a 5.5mm OD power supply plug with 2.5mm ID was easy enough, although I'd've been prepared to just splice the two cables if it hadn't been a standard plug. Anyone thinking of going this route might like to know the 0V connection goes to the outer shell and the +5V to the inner. Very pleased with the hub, no problems whatever.

Poppa.