5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Phone, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920 SIM-Free Smartphone - Yellow (Windows, 32GB) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone)
I am going to start this review by stating that I like Microsoft products and have been happily using their software for years. I have a Windows 8 laptop and use Windows at work. Therefore, when I was on the market for another phone it was only going to be Windows Phone 8 for me, as I am already more than happy with the general experience of the OS over the devices I have.

Some of you may have already used Android or Apple devices and this may eventually steer you towards the phone that you believe will fulfil your requirements. If you have heavily invested in the walled garden of Apple you may wish to continue doing so. If you are someone that wishes to customise the phone down to the minutest detail, then perhaps Android is for you.

However, if you are not particularly tied to the alternatives and you want to experience a fresh new (although it has been around for some time now in WP7.x) phone OS that is fluid, responsive, elegant and works the way you want to work then you may have found a very valid option.

As this is about the phone itself rather than the operating system I will continue without going into the specifics of what Microsoft have put together. You can find this information elsewhere on the internet. I would suggest you do play around with a device if you can however, as you cannot really appreciate it until you have some time using it. Plus some of the technical reviews are often Apple biased. I am not saying that Apples are great devices, they are, but some more technical reviews out there cannot see beyond their own Apple ecosystem.

Anyway, back to the Nokia specifics. First of all I have to say that I love the bold colours. I wanted a phone that was a bit different and looked a little unique. I think the Lumia range of devices certainly head in that direction. They are bold, they are quite brash but you can obviously get alternative colours if the more colourful ones do not suit your purpose.

The phone feels very sturdy in the hand. Yes, it isn't the lightest phone on the market but I find that weight somewhat reassuring. It feels like a quality piece of equipment, not something that is likely to break the first time you knock it over. That isn't to say it won't of course, that will always depend on how you drop these things! So if you are on the lookout for the lightest, slimmest phone on the market you may want to look elsewhere. Personally, I find that not a consideration, although it is on the heavy side for more recent phones it is hardly what you would describe as heavy! Again, if you think this could be an issue, just go to a local store and pick one up.

It is one beautiful piece of equipment in my eyes though. I love the discreet curves, the way the glass raises up ever so slightly, the way it feels like it is moulded into one. The 920 is currently the bigger of the Lumias and if you think this is going to be an issue there are other models that could fit your needs. I find the size and weight right.

Nokia has some great technology in this phone and you could go so far to say that they were pushing the innovation boundaries for the latter part of 2012. Sure, we will see other phones in 2013 pushing this even further but I guess it depends on what features you are looking for. Personally, one of my main considerations was the camera and this phone has one of if not the best camera phones available right now. The low level capabilities are great, and let's face it a substantial number of pictures we take are in low level light conditions. In addition, the optical image stabilisation really helps to reduce the blur, again something that often catches you out on the move.

Away from the camera I find the effort Nokia has put into making some new and unique applications on the OS admirable. This was another reason for me not selecting an alternative WP8 handset maker. I know Nokia are pushing this, they are very proactive with what they do and know from past experience that their customer services was very good.

I could write a fair bit more but suffice to say I am extremely happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this phone to others.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]