3.0 out of 5 stars How your writing style can let down a good story, 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Baby's Cry (Paperback)
This is a very touching story and I admire the foster mother for the work that she does. But this book is badly let down by the writing style. It is at times laborious, going into every tiny detail of the family's daily life, and at other times patronising (do we really, really need to be told what n/a stands for, for example? Really?). I stuck with the story, hoping there was going to be more of a twist. Although fortunate for baby Harry, other readers like me might be left disappointed that a story with rather mysterious, exciting beginnings simply slowly peters out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2012 20:17:46 BDT
I know exactly where you are coming from with your comments here - but funnily enough I think it's the writing style that makes Cathy's books so popular. For one thing there is nothing demanding in the text - they are SO easy to read. They can be read easily when you are on the train or in a noisy cafe - anywhere because they are written in a grammatically simple style. I can be through a cathy glass book in a few hours - compared to my normal reading time of about 3 months!!

I think Cathy's style is actually very appealing - there is something very comforting in it for me - because it is such a simple and honest style, Cathy comes over as a really approachable and friendly person. I just love the way she describes doing her household chores and driving about town or on a day out as if there is no toil involved in it at all. Everything in her life just seems so neat and orderly and secure. I think it's a really clever way of writing - if you check out cathy's website you will find some articles she has written for magazines - they are in a totally different style.

I am sure this style of writing has been chosen to appeal to a wide audience and also to reflect Cathy's caring personality - what you find patronising I find quite 'motherly' She just comes over as totally likeable to me. I do know what you mean though. My favourite book of Cathy's is 'Mummy told me not to tell' I think there is more of Cathy's 'adult' personality in there - and certainly some of her comments about the headteacher of the primary school in that book I found highly amusing!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 15:19:29 BDT
NYTIMES says:
I totally agree, it's as though the writer couldn't think of anything else to fill out the book, so described everything with utterly tedious and pointless longevity. I have heard of padding out a book to make up the word count........... but this was overstuffed to bursting point, as was the last book, the night the angels came. If a writer can't fill a book with a story..... why write it at all ?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 17:24:44 BDT
Martha says:

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 18:55:47 BDT
H. Yeomans says:
Ignorant comments like what exactly? Would you like to be more specific? I read the book and have shared my opinion of it. I am a publisher, editor and writer with over 24 years of experience. I think my opinion might be just a little bit valid, don't you? Not all reviews can be 100% positive - and if they were, you wouldn't really trust them nor would they be very useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 12:32:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Apr 2012 12:33:14 BDT
Martha says:
I was referring to your comment by NYTimes, not your comment.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 15:56:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2012 15:59:09 BDT
june says:
Although I did enjoy the book, im afraid I do have to agree with the above comments. ( H. Yeomans) I found myself skipping sometimes 1/2 a page of tedious explanations of how to get items out of a loft, bit by bit.... or how and what you pack into baby's bag. I was pleased with the outcome for all concerned, but its not a book that I would read again.

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 19:08:24 GMT
I agree 100% with this comment. I also found some of the narrative unbelievable - e.g. babies don't grin at 10 days old, that is 'wind'!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (239 customer reviews)

6.99 3.50