5.0 out of 5 stars Good drive to use with a Mac, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Seagate STCA3000200 3TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
I bought this drive to use with my iMac. I only have USB 2 on my Mac but as the interface on the drive is changeable I'm hoping to get the Thunderbolt interface once it drops to about £30, currently it costs over £140 which is ridiculous as that's more than £99.99 i paid for the drive.

The drive is very quiet in use and the discrete white led glows when in use. Build quality is plasticky but weighty. It's designed to stand upright on four small rubber feet. The USB 3 cable supplied is shortish but adequate and has what looks like a propriety plug on the end that fits into the drive. It's not a usual USB 3 plug but could be a micro USB 3 plug if such a thing exists.

I formated the drive on the Mac and didnt bother with installing the supplied software. Time Machine works great. Be careful not to move the drive when in use as the (micro) USB plug can move causing the drive to be ejected.

The only strange thing is that the power supply makes a strange electronic ticking noise which even continues for a while after the adapter is unplugged. Other people have mentioned it on a Seagate forum, I've never experienced anything like it before but as others have mentioned it, it must be how the adapter is designed. They also supply the socket pins for other countries power outlets in the box and therefore can be interchanged on the adapter.

Before Mac formatting I tested it on my PC over USB 3 and I got the usual 40-50MB/sec write speed which is twice USB 2. Hope thunderbolt gets cheap fast as I need it's speed for large backups.

All in all happy and I've given 1 star less for the weird power supply noise.

Update, contacted Seagate and they sent me a replacement Power Supply and no noise now, so 5 stars!

28/12/12 Purchased a second one of these drives and it had the same noise from the power supply which Seagate promptly sent a replacement for. Although the drives don't make any noise in transferring data they do have a continuos whirring noise which is either a fan or motor spinning and I could feel the vibrations on my desk. I placed the drives on a mouse mat and this has stopped the vibration in my desk and reduced the whirring sound.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 May 2013 01:27:21 BDT
I got that unusual ticking for a few days (but from the drive) - and then the drive stopped working so I suspect that may be a fault with the mechanics. Contrary to what a lot of reviews say, the bars on the front work for me using USB2. My replacement appears to be working fine although I've not tried using the backups - yet. I find the drive silent to all intents and purposes though. No whirring or fan sounds at all and no vibrations at all. Wonder if the quality control may be suspect?

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 17:24:45 BDT
John G says:
I have attached this to my iMac and find that although the drive is seen by Disk Untility, it doesn't appear or mount on the iMac destop. If I move it to my PC it appears just fine and I can save and delete items on it. Did you HAVE to reformat it to see it mount on your Mac, or as NTFS shoudn't it appear as a read only drive anyway?

Many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 17:36:50 BDT
S. Shah says:
I think mine did appear as a read only ntfs but I formatted to mac format anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 17:39:52 BDT
John G says:
I thought it should, which is a bit worrying! However I've been using it on a PC for the last hour and it works perfectly so I think I'll have a go at reformatting it on the Mac and see if it appears OK then ... thanks for the info. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2013 14:44:00 GMT
Frank Tiba says:
vibration in my desk and reduced the whirring sound.

HI I HAVE SAME TOO MAKING vibration in my desk and reduced the whirring sound. I TRY GET CONTACT SEAGATE THEY EMAILS WEBSITE DID NOT WORK CAN YOU LINK ME HOW YOU GOT TO EMAIL THEM THANKS
CAN YOU FORWARD ME THE EMAIL ADDRESS SO I CAN EMAIL SEAGATE THANKS YOU HELP