1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, simply dreadful... bought this in October and this was my response, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Slow Carb Vegetarian (Paperback)
[rant]
Arrrhgh! I've been completely scammed. Finally bought "The Slow Carb Vegetarian" by Rachel Henderson, Amazon print-on-demand, which I'd been eyeing-up for ages but had balked at the cost (especially as no reviews or proper preview). At four quid for 46 pages I was sincerely hoping for a densely packed delight that would elucidate the joys of veggie 'slow-carbing' - that's doing Tim Ferriss's 4-hour body diet but for veggies - admittedly a hard call. I'm so disappointed.
*** The recipes are an utter insult. One hoped for at least a handful of novel recipes, not a litany of grim flavour-free bog-standards of 'Vegetable Chilli', 'Vegetable Stew', 'Stuffed Peppers', 'Boiled Egg Salad', etc. For example, the 'Mixed Bean Salad' ingredients are: 400g cooked mixed beans, 1 cos lettuce heart, Vinaigrette dressing - yup, that's it; methods aren't much more than 'chop lettuce and mix with beans and dressing'; oh, except "there are lots of lovely combinations using different flavours of vinegar that you can experiment with". Wow. Thanks. 'Stuffed Peppers' = "2 red peppers, 400g flageolet beans, Salt, Pepper, Chilli flakes". Or one large tomato in an ingredients list, a second miraculously appears in the methods. Henderson's conclusion: "You should be able to come up with some ideas of your own as well." - gosh, really?
*** But far, far worse, is that Henderson appears to have jumped on the Ferriss band-wagon without having read/understood the basics in his book properly. The first sentence in her 'Meals' section (p4) starts "As fruit and dairy are not allowed..." ah ha: so that's why Ferriss suggest that you don't have more than two tablespoons of cream in your coffee (T4-HB, p74), or highlights the wonders of 'the Chipotle diet' with cheese and sour cream (p93). Admittedly, in his lacto-ovo section (p91), he suggests most milk products are avoided but that's not an injunction and it's certainly not one of the 'five rules'. And fruit is fine on your binge day.
*** And so it goes, e.g. much fanfare about the recipes being sugar free, then uses lots of balsamic vinegar. Eh? The very first recipe in the 'book' (it's really a pamphlet with nice glossy card cover) for 'Tomato and Lentil Soup' has suggestions such as 'use xyz' but it's "not really allowed to be consumed". Great.
*** Oh - and I should have picked this up on Amazon's preview (which only includes the cover and the introduction, one wonders why?) - the back cover is full of typos, even misspelling Ferriss as Ferris (likewise "Ferris" in the introduction, or "Time Ferris" in the conclusion), and that really ought to have warned me off.
*** Actually, I'm beyond disappointed, I'm furious. Livid. I could have had a 'proper' cookbook for the price of this abomination. I'd send the beastly thing back but I'd have to pay the postage so I might as well cut my losses. I'll mebbe just use it for knife-throwing practice or something... Oooh, or a table mat for hot dishes - except the nice shiny cover would probably stick to the pot. Darn.

And before I'm berated for my own typos - you're not being charged four quid to read this. As my ramblings are mostly ex tempore, I tend to only do the one 'proofing'; if I were to 'publish' I'm sufficiently OCD that I'd proof-read at least a dozen times! I'd at least spell Ferriss's name right.
[/rant]

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]