4.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Octava HD41-ARC-UK - 4x1 HDMI ARC + Digital Audio switch - With TOSlink (Digital Optical) Audio Output (Audio Return Channel / 3D / CEC Support, v1.4) - IR , 1080p Full HD, SkyHD, Virgin, PS4, Xbox One (Electronics)
I purchased one of these to connect my Sky HD box, Apple TV, blu ray player and Popcorn Hour to my TV via HDMI, and to my Sonos Playbar via the optical. I can confirm that this works really well with no loss in picture or audio quality.

Why only 4 stars? This is a premium price product. I purchased when it was showing 50% off and it still cost a lot of money. For that price I consider the casing to be a little sub standard. It is easy to bend and the product feels a little cheap. The important parts at the back seem good though. The optical and HDMI leads lock in securely and do not move.

It is also a good that you can turn the front input selection lights off as they are bright enough to illuminate my whole living room.

Overall, very functional and works well but I would have liked a better outer case.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jun 2013 23:27:23 BDT
K. Weaver says:
Does it output Dolby Digital 5.1 from your Blu-ray even when the disk track is DTS?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2013 11:17:00 BDT
Ian Harding says:
As far as I am aware, no. If it receives DTS it will output DTS. There is no conversion going on in the box it just works as a switch. I do not know what it will do if it receives the audio from the ARC as I have not set it up this way.

When I have played a couple of blu ray discs with the audio being sent via the optical to the switch I have received sound but assume (as I have not fully tested this) that the film soundtrack has a DD5.1 option as well at the DTS MA that was previously sent to my Onkyo receiver via the HDMI cable. Either this or the player is doing the conversion and sending out a signal the Playbar can use.

I have not yet found a film that has a DTS only soundtrack although they must exist. I assume these would have the option to output stereo where the audio is being sent directly to a TV rather than to a receiver.

The issue I have is where I have ripped my own DVD's onto my Popcorn A110. When I did this I only included the "best" available audio track which would usually have been the DTS or for blu rays is DTS HD. When I play these I get silence.

The solution.. Re-rip all my DVD's or simply use the discs rather than my Popcorn player. I am not an avid film watcher so it is not too much of an issue for me. I do not but DVD's anymore except for the kids and would usually use Apple TV to rent a film where there is no sound issues as these are all in stereo of DD5.1.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2013 13:01:25 BDT
Hello Ian,
do you have any Lip syncing issues when using the switch

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2013 19:52:22 BDT
Ian Harding says:
The lip sync on mine is fine and as far as I can tell the switch does not add any delay to the sound. I use Sky HD so I can adjust it if need be but have not needed to.

Posted on 31 Aug 2013 12:23:59 BDT
Does this switch come with a UK plug or does it include a US plug?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2013 19:20:23 BDT
Ian Harding says:
Mine came with a UK plug.

Posted on 3 Dec 2013 19:58:51 GMT
Hi

Your review says that you have an Apple TV. These are notoriously difficult to auto switch as they remain in a constant on mode. I was wondering if yours auto switches or if you need to use the remote?

Regards

Graeme

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 20:12:27 GMT
K. Weaver says:
I'm using mine with a Cable box, Apple TV2, Wii, XBOX and a Blue Ray player. It seems to auto switch when there is only one signal present. If I'm watching cable then turn on my atv2....the Octava will not jump to the correct source unless I turn off my cable box.

So I end up using the remote most of the time if I'm changing sources.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 20:15:22 GMT
Ian Harding says:
You are correct. If I airplay something through the Apple TV or simply turn it on it will not auto select. I have to use the remote. Everything else seems to work fine but as the switch is easy to access I have no issues.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›