2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..... not quite as it seems from the cover, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Christmas at Thrush Green (Hardcover)
I have read and enjoyed every one of Miss Read's books, so was absolutely delighted to see there was 'a brand new Miss Read novel' about to be published even though she was officially retired.
As soon as I saw that the book had actually been written by her editor, Jenny Dereham, I felt distinctly short changed! The book isn't terrible, and it's nice to read a bit more about her well-known characters, but the whole narrative and characterisation lacks the 'bite' that Miss Read has always employed with great success.
If I had known that Miss Read had, according to the acknowledgement 'discussed the initial idea, developed the storyline, then left [Jenny Dereham] to put it into words', I might have had second thoughts.
I honestly think this should be made clear by the publishers on the book cover.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Oct 2009 08:17:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Oct 2009 08:18:54 GMT
Could'nt agree more!, this is a blatant cashing in on the Miss Read name.

Posted on 11 Nov 2009 17:53:56 GMT
MC says:
I was disappointed in this book, too. I thought Miss Read had lost her touch until I read your review and realised that she didn't actually write it! That explains why the characters seemed so formulaic and one-dimensional. I espeially found the teenagers and the behaviour of Edward Young unconvincing.

Posted on 2 Jan 2010 22:12:01 GMT
G. Yates says:
I could not agree more with this comment, I read all Miss Read's books years ago and because I loved them so much, am now reading them again. I was really excited when I heard she was writing a new novel and my son bought me it for Christmas, but what a disappointment, the characters are just not Miss Read, they behave in a totally different manner, and I am sorry but the Nelly story line is quite unbelievable. I definitely feel short changed, and like the comment above I feel it should be made clear on the publishers cover that she did not write this book. Please Miss Read write the next novel yourself!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2010 17:22:23 GMT
Book Beaver says:
Excellent comments and review. 'Miss Read' is 97 now and one would not expect her to write another book but it does appear that her editor is taking advantage and scraping a fruitful barrel.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (47 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 0.01