3.0 out of 5 stars Great Hardware, let down by software, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 16GB, 7th Generation - Silver (Electronics)
The 7th generation iPod nano is a great piece of kit. It looks simple and elegant, as you would expect. It feels nice in the hand and the touch screen has perfect sensitivity. It comes with the new shape earphones which feel comfortable and produce a quality sound. It also comes with a USB to lightening connector.

The downside is with apples' software. iTunes failed to find a large portion of my music when scanning my computer, meaning I'm missing individual songs, whole albums and artists. It also failed to transfer 90% of the album art with the music (prior to this I have been using the current windows media player to play my music on my pc and laptop). It is also not obvious how to make playlists on your iPod and I think that you have to do this on you're computer which is a bit of a pain when you are out and about.

Perhaps my expectations are a little high, but I expect iPod's to be simple and easy to use, plug in and play. I will no doubt be able to correct these issues thrown up by the software but it will mean a lot of time spent fiddling about trying to find files etc. I would have hoped that apples' software was capable of doing all of this for me and it's an unexpected hiccup which means that my iPod will be a chore for sometime rather than just getting out and enjoying it.

Once I sort out these initial issues I'm expect I would rate the iPod nano a 4-5 star piece equipment as the product itself is pretty fantastic. Just a shame the software isn't up to par with the hardware!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Dec 2012 18:48:52 GMT
A. Gardner says:
Agreed, itunes is a big let down. I use sharepod, which is free to download and very easy to use. However, some of your problems may also be due to file format, in particular WMA files, which will not play/sync onto Apple devices.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 21:00:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2013 21:03:35 GMT
P. Woodford says:
Regarding the artwork problem too, this may be more a quirk of Windows Media Player rather than iTunes' problem. If WMP works like it did in the past, then Album Art is saved as a hidden jpeg file in the directory of each song. iTunes looks for Album Art embedded in the file, so when you import your WMP collection, iTunes can't find the artwork for each song.

I agree, though, that iTunes could be easier to use. The new iTunes 11 is a good start, but if you want a good alternative (that also syncs with iPods) you could try MediaMonkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Posted on 15 Feb 2013 00:08:50 GMT
Naga says:
Truth is, iTunes is RUBBISH software. Has put me right off buying a Mac cuz if that is typical quality then Apple can keep it. Having said that, it should be possible to scan your hard disk and import everything into iTunes.

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 20:51:06 BDT
K. Odell says:
Great review. I resisted buying an ipod, and had an android phone, for years, because I didn't like the idea of iTunes. But, I bought one of these last week so that I would have a dedicated MP3 player that was compatible with the dock in the car and the many ipod speaker docks at my various work places.

I am fine with the device. It's iTunes that is awful. I am not a computer genius, but I am also not an idiot. I shouldn't find the software as confusing as I do. The various old music files on my computer are in a mess in my library and I'm still not sure how to tidy things up. And, while I think the shopping selection on the store is good, I'm not thrilled with the speed of downloads and many of the downloads don't go through. I'm thinking I'll probably purchase from Amazon in the future, but I'm not sure how that will integrate with my itunes library and I'm sort of dreading figuring all of that out.

I am shocked that the iPods have such a monopoly on the market. By "monopoly" I mean that almost every speaker dock thingy out there is made for the iPod. And, then there's the general assumption that everyone will use iTunes to get media like podcasts. I suppose that's down to market share.

I regret paying so much money for this device when I could have bought something equally good, with a drag-and-drop way of loading files, for much less money. True, I wouldn't be able to use all the speaker docks, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Posted on 13 Jul 2013 19:13:53 BDT
For this kind of Money I want Wlan to. to stream Music that would make the Player complete,maybe for Edition 8?

Posted on 16 Sep 2013 23:19:28 BDT
Dogson says:
Really good device let down by Apples controlling software!
If the device could be written to by Windows , Osx and Linux that would be great.
But you can't just put your music on it from an available computer as it doesn't fit with Apples business model.
Very poor.

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 11:41:45 GMT
L Rose says:
This is a common problem with the updates in iTunes. I recommend searchign online for solutions. I had the same problem, and simply removing ALL files from itunes, and then re-inserting them did the trick for me (though, according to my search, not for everybody)... Try that.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 23:07:08 GMT
dands says:
It's easy. Amazon cloud player will download to itunes on an Apple device. I have an ipad with the cloud player app installed, and have transferred my music purchased from Amazon into itunes. Each album takes seconds to transfer.

Posted on 26 Oct 2014 22:32:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Oct 2014 22:33:15 GMT
Derek10 says:
This review is laughable. Firstly, you complain that iTunes failed to find music on your computer. Why is this a fault of the iPod? The bit about creating playlists was also comical. Why would you have a need to start creating playlists when you are 'out and about'. It's really not that difficult to create a playlist on your computer and then synching yet you make out that it's a major hassle.

It seems that a lot of reviewers on here are downgrading their reviews because of perceived software issues when really it's their own incompetence in not knowing how to use the iTunes software.

Posted on 21 Nov 2015 23:52:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Nov 2015 23:53:56 GMT
Jasmine says:
I agree with you, itunes looks like pretty crap software.I downloaded a trial version on my pc and it seems to have trouble transferring independent podcasts to the correct folder.Also I don't like the idea of being tethered to itunes,it's like I'm married to damn thing.I think I'll purchase a cowon mp3 player instead
Far superior in sound quality than apple.Let the sheeple buy this overpriced apple crap with it's finicky software.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›