5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!!, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Undead Day Fourteen (Kindle Edition)
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this book, and indeed the entire series? Well, it just keeps getting better with every day, not only the story, characters, plot twists, but also the writing. I assure you, if you haven't tried Day 1 yet, you'll come to love the characters!

Haywood excels at combining gritty realism with humour and lots of emotion too, which is refreshing from a zombie story, and a welcome sight too. All too often zombie novels steer toward the blood, guts, and mechanics of an apocalypse, rather than showing what ordinary people do in such intense and heartbreaking times.

Haywood's characters are realistic and alive, even when they're close to death. There's a raw human element which is often missing with other similar novels. And the banter keeps on coming too, and why not? It's human nature to force a joke in dark times, or perhaps that's a British thing. Either way it works very well.

Day Fourteen doesn't let up from the first page to the last. With every instalment I wonder what Haywood is going to do to keep me up late at night once again. Surely there has to be a drop off point where it starts to feel stale, right?

No chance. He still has me riveted, turning the pages long after my bed time alarm has gone off. I'm very pleased to see Nick has a shining role to play in Day Fourteen, long overdue and well worth the wait, especially as I feel I've watching Nick grow up throughout the series, and deserves his chance to show his worth.

I've enjoyed this series so much, and after reaching the end of Day Fourteen I was compelled to write a piece about it on my blog:

[...]

When I reached the last page it suddenly occurred to me that The Undead series would make an excellent TV show, I'm thinking a blend of the darkness of The Walking Dead, the humour of Skins (UK version) and Misfits, with the production value of Game of Thrones.

Can you imagine if Channel 4 picked this up? It would make for edge of your seat viewing over more than a few seasons.

Haywood, feed me your words so my eyes and brain can continue enjoying every last morsel!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]