3.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic... yet!, 2 Aug 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: UFC 2009: Undisputed (PS3) (Video Game)
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king! That quote sums up my experience with Undisputed 2009 in a nutshell. I bought this game on the cheap following the rave reviews for Undisputed 2010 just to see what it was all about really as i'm not an avid follower of the UFC.

I was pleased to discover that UFC 2009 had similar rave reviews so I thought I was onto a winner, especially when I read reviews not only comparing it to Fight Night Round 4 but some reviews stating that it was actually better! This of course should have been a warning sign as it is not like comparing FIFA and PES but more like comparing FIFA to NBA Live just because they are both team sports that use a ball!

UFC Undisputed 2009 is a mixed martial arts fighting game that is realistic, so none of your dragon punches here! This is a good aspect of the game and does make a refreshing change from some of the titles that are released currently. However, this is one of only a few positives that this title offers.

Graphically the game is good without overly impressing as the fighters appear to be too plastic until in action replay then you get some indication that you are hitting someone and not an action man!

The game roster includes a number of fighters that are instantly recognisable even to a UFC novice like me.

And finally there are a variety of moves at your disposal.

And now for the negatives which I know the fanboys will not like but here we go!

As I said previously graphically it is not stunning, tired effects which have been done since the PS2 and just as well do not cut it in my book. Examples of this are the facial cuts and bruising which are poor and repetitive and seem to have been put in just for the effect.

The sounds and presentation are just shocking and really do belong on a PS2, i'm not talking about the rock soundtrack which doesn't really bother me but the menu sounds, the `amazing crowd' (thats a quote) is laughable and the menu presentation in particular in career mode is a joke.

While on career mode which is the main section of the game that I played I wondered why they included it as it seems like a direct port from the PS2 again. Your fighter doesn't age, as he doesn't age he can continue getting better until eventually a message flashes up saying you have a year left! Once you have won the championship you then seem to have to fight the same four fighters over and over again i.e. the top 5 which never changes!

I won't even start on the control system as I did enough to finish the game without really getting to grips with it, all I will say is get ready to play finger twister!

Finally, I would only recommend this game if you are a big fan of UFC and/or you find it on a budget buy somewhere. I can only suggest that this game has got such great reviews as there is no competition but as EA have released their own title the MMA gaming field make become very interesting in the coming years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Oct 2010 13:57:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2010 14:00:57 BDT
how long did it take you to discover this game...?

youre reviewing it like its only just come out. yet 2010 has been out ages too, you mention 2010, but then go on like its never existed.
any basis for a negative this game has, is null and void as the newer game has surpassed it. way to be cutting edge with your reviews.
oh by the way, EA havent "released" their MMA game yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2010 15:26:05 BDT
To be honest this title wasn't on my must play list until I saw it for under 10 which is why I didn't get it until 2010 had been released.
Why would I mentioon more of 2010 when I haven't played it and also this review was for 2009 version.
The fact of the matter is I picked up 2009 because it was dirt cheap the same reason many others will buy it .. the fact that it has been improved for 2010 is a typical fanboy response! Bit like saying I bought a 2008 Toyota which has problems with its engine but its sorted in the 2009.

EA MMA title has been pushed back in theory till end of October but doesn't mean that the statement still isn't valid. UFC will have competition.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (50 customer reviews)

49.99 4.99