5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME AIRCRAFT, 22 Jan 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Italeri I1302 Model Aeroplane Short Sunderland Mk I on 1:72 Scale (Toy)
When i took up aircraft modeling again after a 50 year break I always remembered the Airfix Sunderland that i built way back when. I was surprised to see that this kit is still in production,well that kit must surly be a bit long in the tooth by now, so when I saw that Italeri had released it I could not wait to go and buy it, even though the 40 odd pounds it cost was a lot more than i normally pay for a model.
The one thing that struck me was how well this model is presented, and on opening the box I could not wait to start it even though I am still battling away with a Revell Lancaster. I suppose it is just the sheer size of this model that makes it so mouthwatering , ( to give you an idea the Lancaster fuselage will easily fit in the Sunderlands with room to spare !).
The cockpit is very well detailed and the fit of the parts is very good, however be warned, on some of the parts the detail is so fine that it can be mistaken for flash, and I made a mistake on the very first step by shaving off the seats arm rests thinking it was this.
I have just read a very long blog on the web about building this, and there seems to be a lot of complaints about the panel lines being to deep and some of the parts being a bit over scale, however this does not worry me, in my humble opinion working at 1/72 sometimes it has to be that way so that the detail can be engraved. If I have one complaint it is that the attachment points of some of the very small parts to the sprues is very heavy,and that great care must be made when cutting the off to avoid breaking them;
This is the first Italeri kit that i have tried building, and it will be a while before it is finished (I am very slow!!), but what i can commend Italeri for is the instruction manual, which is computer generated and very clear and concise even though a few paint call outs are missed out.
Overall a good kit and at the 30 odd pounds that i see that it is now being offered at on Amazon excellent value for money considering its size and a photo etched set being included.

[Add comment]