4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
A book for advanced programmers "Not for novices",
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Zend Framework, A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Before you purchase this book you have to have clear understanding of php, html, mysql, and unix based operating system. The author didn't explain how to deal with php configuration details in the web server because its subject is not about LAMP stack or any other package such as wamp nor the author's job to explain to you how object oriented programming works. This is totally another area. I came from a php as a procedural programming language background, however I use C# for windows based applications which it is completely object oriented.
Also I have more than a year experience in drupal as both cms and cmf, however the learning carve for drupal is steeper than Zend framework for the reason being that zend is a design pattern oriented using object oriented to organize the code. You have more freedom in web frameworks than CMSs that is heavy and UI oriented. Perhaps if you want to built a quick website with minimal effort then use CMS if you are satisfied with little code modification and small module creation. However you cannot use CMF to create a custom web application because you are restricted by a rigid framework and it takes more time to learn the huge APIs collection. Bottom line if you are code oriented then Zend is a better solution and if you are UI oriented then use CMS as framwork for what it is.
Going back to the book, I am saying this because I have read most of it to chapter 10 "feed, web service" , This book is one of the best written in relation to web development. It takes you from 0 to hero in a complete illustration of real problem solving that is commonly encountered. The example through the chapters in itself 70% of what you need to know to get a real website up and running. The rest 30% is your imagination and creativity.
In fact this book is only recommended for advanced and serious web developers who are novices in web application framework.
In relation to the models, in a nutshell, it is the same as the controllers, however from a design point of view, it is best to code your application primarily in models and use controllers as pointers. Meaning as explained in the book, fat model skinny controller.
I am glad I bought this book because I have spent a week trying to figure out zend framework. This book explains it all in a perfect introduction to a complex subject. Its added bonus is the resources provided after each chapter.
Don't let the negative posts effects you by not buying this book. If you are searching hard to find a good advanced books this one is for you.
The negative posts are mistaken and only for those who want to be spoon fed the knowledge.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2012 09:38:04 BDT
Gustav de Damme says:
Thanks for your review man, it was really objective and exactly what i needed as i have been shopping around for days trying to figure out what book can be suitable for me, an intermediate php/MySQL programmer, but one who is interested but knows nothing about Magento.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›