ARRAY(0xb413db1c)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DSLR, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (10.2MP) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I recently ordered this camera, and I am completely in love with it!

I am currently doing an AS in Photography and it is certainly meeting up to the expectations I need it to. There is a fantastic range of shutter speeds, ISOs, and also aperture, however it would be nice if it could go a bit lower for low light situations.

When looking around I couldn't decide on what make to buy, with the Sony Alpha 200, I found that the lens wasn't that fantastic, however it is a bit cheaper and also doesn't come with as many features. The nearest match to the D3000 for Canon was, what I felt, is the 1000D. This is currently under 400 which is fantastic value, and had it been that price when I brought the D3000 I may well have brought the 1000D.

Once I had decided on getting a Nikon, I originally decided to get the D60, however I found that the D3000 was on offer and was therefore cheaper. I did quite a lot of research into the difference, and found that, they both had 10.2MP, same frames per second (3), same range of shutter speed (1/4000 to 30 s ). However I found that the D3000 could go from 100-32000 ISO, whereas the D60 is only 100-1600. The D3000 also has a 3" screen, instead of 2.5" with the D60.
The D3000 also has a Guide system which means that supposedly anyone can take a photo and works almost like a compact digital camera.

Another fantastic feature with the lens is the VR (vibration reduction) feature which means nearly all the time photos come out crisp, even in low light conditions.

My one slight problem with the camera is that it lacks a studio light cable, however from what I understand neither does the D60, nor the 1000D nor the Alpha 200. - This wont be a problem for most, however it would be nice to have one as I will be using studio lighting with my course.

I am not sure what storage the other cameras have, however the D3000 uses SD cards which means very cheap prices for lots of memory!

Finally, the lens: I have had no problems with it and am really pleased with it, however I have found that when doing very close up photos, it can be hard to focus on the subject- which often results in zooming out a bit until I can get it into focus.

All in all.. a fantastic buy! I am really pleased with it and have had no problems.
I would recommend it for sure!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Oct 2009 17:58:31 BDT
A. Tibble says:
for your camera to connect to studio lights, if your camera has a hot shoe you can get a hot shoe adapter from speedgraphic.com for about 10

Posted on 28 Nov 2009 14:10:19 GMT
Thanks for your Frank, Honest, and enjoyable review... "Enjoy your new D3000 Camera Always...", cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2010 12:05:17 GMT
checked ur tip regarding the hot shoe but it is a completely different kind of products that they sell, but not hot shoe!!

Posted on 8 Jan 2010 23:04:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2010 23:06:31 GMT
What a good, practical (& literate) review, Enjoy your photography! Good luck!

Posted on 28 Jan 2010 14:51:12 GMT
I'd like to reiterate what A.Tibble said about getting a hot shoe adapter for connecting to studio lights. You may however want to spend a bit more and get one that reduces the studio light voltages (some can be as high as 600W) to something your camera can safely handle i.e. 6w.

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 21:37:03 BDT
R. Jennings says:
Thanks for a great and detailed review,my daughter plans to do her AS in photography this year so I have found this review exactly what I've been looking for and you have answered my questions,we were looking at either the Nikon or Canon,thank you.

Posted on 20 Apr 2011 20:34:56 BDT

Posted on 18 Jul 2011 17:27:45 BDT
W. H. J. Yip says:
Most studio lights already come with cables that connect to your camera, so it's actually not up to the camera manufacturer to offer a free cable in the first place. I have a pair of Bowens lights, which came with two cables. But to be honest, you're better off getting a trigger and several receivers for eBay - go for the Hong Kong merchants who can usually offer 1 trigger and 2 receivers for about 15-20. And they work with all SLRs (apart from Sony because of how their hotshoe works).

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2011 21:57:14 BDT
Just re-read what I wrote, I meant to say it didn't have a studio cable socket, but as I've realised over the past few years not many cameras do! And you can get a hot shoe adapter for very low prices :)

Posted on 28 Feb 2012 22:29:35 GMT
i think its a great camera , i am pro photographer = check out joshua francis hayes photography on facebook too see what 2 of these cameras have helped me produce
‹ Previous 1 Next ›