5.0 out of 5 stars Bush are Back....life's just gotten slightly better., 2 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Sea of Memories (Audio CD)
The 90's was a great decade for rock music. Bush were one of those bands, like Catherine Wheel, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana that could mix raw power with great emotion, melodies and lyrics.
Nowadays that appears to have gone. There's bands with raw power but little emotion (except anger) and bands with loads of tuneful sorrow (but not a lot of oomph).
I had no idea Bush were back in the studio until, by luck, I spotted the vid for 'All My Life' on You tube.
That's all I needed to buy the album 'Sea of Memories'.
It came via post a few days before I wrote this review and my initial impression was 'Wow'. I wanted a few more run throughs before I wrote a review though and I've done that in the car, at home and while walking dogs on my MP3. Basically there's been little else played since it arrived...it is that good.
Is it like the old 90's grungey Bush?
Yes and no.
Yes, because all the raw emotion is still tunefully and powerfully reproduced. This is still 'Bush', the same band that did 'Everything's Zen','Letting The Cable's Sleep' and 'Swallowed'.
No, because this is almost 20 years on and production in the studio has changed.
I can only say this is Bush 2011. The productions a little more modern, polished etc etc.
It's very subtle and I may even be looking at it too deeply to avoid saying Bush are exactly as they were.
Maybe they are and this collection of songs and this album is actually their best work so far.
That's unheard of surely. All comebacks are a disappointment to some degree are they not????
Well whether it's the very subtle production techniques improving Bush's wonderful style and songs or just the fact that they have got even better with the passing of time they've kicked out Sea of Memories', which, in my opinion is their best effort to date.
Surely there must be a tour that goes near Newcastle so I can get there.
Now we just need a similar comeback from Catherine Wheel.

[Add comment]