5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to an awesome series, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles: Cinder: 1 (Paperback)
Thank you forever, Marissa Meyer, for this book. Not only was it an extremely creative and enjoyable sci-fi retelling of Cinderella, but I was craving good young adult sci-fi for so long, and now I finally have found a great one.

I knew about this book for a long time, kept seeing the title on Goodreads, but something just kept holding me back. Though the idea (Cinderella is a cyborg) sounded interesting, at the same time it kind of gave me chills. But being a sci-fi fan, I finally decided I should check it out. And now I only regret not having read it sooner.

This book is awesome. First off, the world building is of the quality that reminds me why I love sci-fi. Just the whole concept of the Fourth World War destroying much of the world and the remaining countries unifying under new governments - brilliant! So believable and interesting. A plague, cyborgs, androids, hovers, ID chips, port screens - *sings* what a wonderful world. Having read so much YA recently, I don't know when I last read a book that truly took total advantage of the world the author created. But this world was beautiful, and that truly engages you to keep reading.

Cinder is an awesome heroine. To be honest, the Cinderella fairy tale was never one of my favorites. I especially just found her to be really boring. But Cinder is not that. She is strong, courageous, snarky, and stands up for what's right. Marissa gave her a really unique voice that I loved to read.

Kai somehow made the dreamy prince character even more dreamy. I really, really appreciate the times when the book sort of shifted to his point of view so we get that political angle in there. That really added a wonderful extra dimension to the story. And I love that there was no romantic melodrama - the romance really stayed on the side, which really fit the story.

The only thing I can say that's less glowing is that the big time sekrit reveal was the most obvious thing in the world. Especially when everyone and their mother is recommending this to Sailor Moon fans. *cough* I knew the second it was mentioned, around page 40 or something. That's not to say that it was less enjoyable to read, but the "must reach the ending" drive was kind of lacking.

But that all being said, I can confidently say this was a brilliant set up for the rest of the series. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel, Scarlet, and anxious to return to this beautiful, interesting, and creative world.

Recommended for: *conformist* fans of Sailor Moon, fairy tales, and science fiction.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]