4.0 out of 5 stars No use in a tight spot, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Millennium Falcon Manual: 1977 Onwards (Modified YT-1300 Corellian Freighter) (Owners Workshop Manual) (Hardcover)
Avoid. Using this book in a vain attempt to fix the notoriously fickle hyperdrive unit of my ship for the umpteenth time, I found I had a number of pieces left over after stripping down and reassembling the entire unit according to the instructions. None of them correspond to the diagrams in the book - I realise that these ships are often "bodged" with off-brand parts (it seems "Made on Alderaan" is no longer a guarantee of quality), but then this manual can hardly claim to be comprehensive if it does not account for the possibility of customisation. Needless to say, my ship is still grounded.

So now I'm stuck in this hollow asteroid, surrounded by Imperial fighters, with a gnarly co-pilot (doesn't help when he's always shedding hairs into the engine compartment) and an equally bilious passenger. The sexual tension is now unbearable, and I may shortly have to ask her to recce the rest of this barren rock while I "resolve matters" with my crew. It's either that or have my groin encased in carbonite, and we know that ain't gonna happen!

Also, the floor keeps rippling in a faintly alarming manner.

I shoulda stayed in that damn cantina and had another drink.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Dec 2011 09:58:02 GMT
The YT-1300 series is notoriously finicky, in fact when I had a chance for a layover last year and began stripping down my vessels hyperdrive I discovered more than a dozen 'improvements' which did not appear in any of the manuals, and I'm including the technical updates sent to my datalink subscription by the information bureau arm of the Corellian Engineering Corporation.

This prompted me to spring for the cost of a complete strip down and the additional cost of a room at the local spaceport while the tecs systematically ripped out the main drive, the computer core, the power relays, propulsion systems, etc - you know the deal ... anyway, just under three weeks later they had put it all back together again and I had a list handed to me which listed components, fittings and even structural elements which I was previously unaware of, let alone covered in the manual.

I quickly came to the same conclusion as the chief tec, who told me that my ship, a YT-1300F ('Outland') was more than likely at some point damaged beyond its structural limits, declared 'written off' and was subsequently put back together again with bits from at least nine other craft, most of which were CEC manufactured, but only one of which was a YT series. Strange thing is, since I had that done, she flies a little better and that damned squeak in the gangway mounting which has been driving me nuts for the last half-decade has finally gone. I'll end by adding a comment made to me by Heltz Weigel, the chief tec:

"Garvens Toes! There ain't no such thing as a stock-light ship, son ... you can start out with a half-dozen of the same model, assembled on the same line at the same facility and put them out into service and then call them in for inspection a decade later and what you're find is a half-dozen different ships whose only association is that they resemble each other on the outside, but on the inside, that is where you notice the real differences. I've stripped down and serviced 'em all - and never once in a thirty year career has any so-called stock-light craft ever matched anything even remotely resembling the technical specs. Hazard of the job, me boy."

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 09:43:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2012 09:45:37 GMT
T. Veekhoven. D'oh. I think you missed the, very funny, point.

Posted on 11 Mar 2012 17:27:52 GMT
This is the most hilarious book review i have ever read. I laughed so hard. I think someone has been watching too much Star Wars lol.

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 00:35:14 BDT
Evnissyen says:
LOL, fantastic review ^^

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 15:44:58 BDT
David Gilroy says:
could be mynocks chewin on the power cables. I agree that you should plug the professor into the hyperdrive to talk to the ship. You're on your own with the whole "Tension" thing maybe its because you're a scruffy looking nerf herder?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2013 15:03:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2013 15:04:12 GMT
I agree heartily with T. Veekhoven's comments. This so-called reviewer is a complete rotter and deserves to be thrashed within an inch of his so-called life. Bring back the birch I say. And National Service.

Posted on 17 Nov 2014 02:55:22 GMT
jamo says:
haha this was the only review that made any sense
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›