4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fine, 24 July 2013
This review is from: 10 EMPTY Whole Pans for Watercolours (Kitchen & Home)
Firstly, I bought from ArtClub via Amazon, paying £4 (incl postage) for the 10 whole pans. I found the service to be prompt, with good coms and the items well packed and of course easily fitting through a standard letter box and would recommend them. The price, well I'm not so sure about, it didn't put me off buying, but we're just talking about 10 bits of plastic here and I think this is just the simple effect that you can pay more simply because they are an art item.

as for the items themselves. They are not branded and I don't know whether pans have a 'universal size' so I am not sure if these are meant to fit with any particular system. They are sturdy, precisely made and all fours sides are slightly angled, though the angle is not as acute as the ones on my N&W half pans. The whole pan is about 2mm deeper than my half pans.

I have a Newton & winsor 45 half pan box. The inner trays (holding slots) have some nubs that hold the half pans in place. I can drop a whole pan in if (with a craft knife), I pare back every other nub. The pan drops in with about 3mm of wiggle room side to side but a snug fit depth wise (i.e. front to back). The pan does not protrude above the holding slots.

At this stage, I am not sure whether to modify my 45 pan tray to take the whole pans or whether to make a homemade painting kit from a tin. I saw a youtube video in which they used magnetic self adhesive tape on the bottom of the pans to keep them in place inside the tin and that seems worth a look.

Anyway, I think the product is fine, I will be happy to order more if I need more than this set of 10 and I think they will fill with tube paint nicely to give me some easy to get big washes.

EDIT 25th July - I have just ordered another set. I have modified my 45 pan kit, which are now a mix of half and the whole pans. Basically as I use the more common colours in the half pans, I will transfer over to the whole pan and fill from tubes rather than replacing the half pans. I will end up with just a few half pans for things like lamp black. I will use the half pans that I liberate to make up a small home made travel kit.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]