5.0 out of 5 stars A very capable flashgun, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash Unit (Accessory)
This is the first proper flash I bought for my EOS 40D and have been blown away by the quality of the images it lets me make. My previous experiences with flashguns have been pretty hopeless, totaly nuked out highlights and black backgrounds.

I wasn't expecting much from this but the e-ttl metering really does a fantastic job of determining how much flash to give each image. I took a few photos of my daughter when she was wearing a bright white jumper and thought it would be totaly overexposed. No, they turned out fine, bright but not blown out.

Anyone in the know about flash knows that on camera flash is the worst place for a flash to be positioned. However, the quality of light given by this flash really does look good. Sure, I prefer to bounce the flash or get it off camera but in a pinch it can be left on camera, set to auto and pointed right at the subject.

The feature set is pretty formidable, hi-speed sync at all shutter speeds! This lets me take flash photos at 1/8000th sec which is cool. The manual controls are good, with power reduction down to 1/64th. There is a modelling light, 2nd curtain sync, focussing beam and slave functions.

The big drawback with Canon SLR's is that the flash cannot be remotely fired by the camera unless you purchase the Speedlite ST-E2, which is basically a hotshoe mounted infrared trigger. Sadly this item is hugely overpriced at about 150 pounds. This immediately limits the creative aspects this flash offers unless you get into radio triggers. The cheap ones from ebay do the trick but unfortunately the e-ttl ability is lost.

This is a hugely disappointing move by Canon, how hard would it be to incorporate an infra-red trigger into the SLR's? Nikon and Olympus do it.

However, once this difficulty has been overcome the flash comes into its own. The look from bounced flash is very natural and evenly light. I have started bounce flashing from walls and interior doors and the effect is subtle and really nice looking.

In summary, if you have any interest in using flash forget the built in flash on your camera, it is not going to take you too far. Try this flash and your photographic opportunities will be expanded exponentially.

A fantastic flash.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2009 22:42:22 GMT
You can buy infra red triggers for around £40.

Posted on 25 Mar 2009 22:26:49 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Mar 2009 22:27:54 GMT]

Posted on 15 Aug 2010 10:49:39 BDT
W. C. Martin says:
If you're getting more into off-camera flash, you're probably going to want a second (or even a third) one at some stage. I've just bought a 580EX which I use to trigger my 430EX remotely. With a connecting lead from my camera's hot-shoe to the 580EX, I can now have both flashes off-camera, which really gives some great results.

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 11:07:28 GMT
M. Bishop says:
The 7D has remote flash firing built in.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 08:13:24 GMT
J. J. Powell says:
The 60d has wireless remote firing built in...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2012 02:31:52 BDT
The 600d has wireless remote firing built in...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2012 20:02:48 GMT
Guys, good replies. I have been using my cheap radio triggers and find that they work fine. Weirdly, on the ocassions that I use a TTL cord I find myself switching the flash to manual as I find the TTL doesn't always give me the consistency I want. I have been experimenting with using one flash for portraits and am getting pretty good results when combining the flash with a Lastolite 8 in 1 tri-grip reflector.

Posted on 21 Sep 2013 19:00:53 BDT
J. Matthews says:
Hi. I have the same flash and like it. Although as soon as I move the head it loses automatic zoom. Is this a fault or is yours the same?

Cheers

Posted on 21 Sep 2013 19:01:52 BDT
J. Matthews says:

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2013 19:19:37 BDT
Hi there. I don't have the unit in from of me but I think the auto zoom function stops when you move the head as it assumes you are using bounce flash. What I do is switch to manual zoom and adjust the zoom that way. This actually helps when using bounce flash as it allows you alter the size of the hotspot the flash creates when it hits the wall or ceiling. Hope that makes sense.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (189 customer reviews)

£234.53 £188.70