5.0 out of 5 stars Just The Job, 8 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0, Full Version (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
As someone with a huge collection of images which weren't catalogued or keyworded in anyway I needed a way to organise my images. I was using the rather clunky Nikon software to process my RAW files.

At first I found Lightroom rather bewildering and did not like it. I bought the Lightroom 2 book by Martin Evening and it just clicked!

Image Organisation
I have spent days applying keywords etc to my back catalogue of images. For this I do not find it particularly intuitive. However for the importing of new images, it is very easy to apply keywords to the whole batch, rate them, and edit them.

I have a dual core processor with 2gb RAM, and my only slight frustration is that it is rather slow at generating the initial previews on first importing - it seems slower than earlier versions. With anything other than a relatively new machine, then forget it espicially if you have a large number of images.

It is very easy to filter by keyword and rating, making it easy to manage your images. You will need to invest time in getting the keywords right though to reap the benefits. Searching and filtering is very quick.

Editing
The range of tools is amazing, making it very easy to adjust your images. Again, I would recommend buying a book to explain some of the tools as the names are sometimes not that explainatory, and the results rather subtle.

I particularly like the ability to create a "virtual copy" of a picture. THis allows you to be able to say edit a colour version of the file, then create a black and white version, and have both versions appear in the catalogue. THe second version takes up no space on your disk.

All the edits are only made to your images when the image is exported, so you can make multiple edits to JPEGS with no loss of quality on your master files.

The new adjustment brushes allow you to apply local edits to the picture, such as changing the exposure or saturation of just one part of the image. THis is great for skies etcs, and much more versatile than the dodge and burn tool in Photoshop.

Output
It is very easy to print in multidude of layouts that you can easily change - unlike Photoshop! You can also produce contact sheets and nice looking web galleries that Lightroom can also upload to your webspace.

Summary
For me Lightroom does 90% of what I need for my pictures, yes I still need Photoshop if I need to replace skies etc. but for most people Lightroom is enough.

It is quite a steep learning curve, but well worth it. It is not a package that you can get the most of through trial and error, I would recommend a companion book.

It is not perfect but pretty close for my needs.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]