3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as Robin Cooper, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: Dear Customer Services: Letters From the World's Most Troublesome Shopper (Paperback)
Who is Terry Ravenscroft? Is he a 68-year-old lorry-driver with small children or is he just a prank letter-writer who assumes a new identity for each new missive? That's a question I found myself coming back to again and again throughout this collection of letters.

Yes, there were connections between the letters, references and similar themes, but the feeling I got after reading this book is that Ravenscroft (Mr) is the latter. In that sense it's less satisfying that Robin Cooper's Timewaster Letters, where we see a character emerge and develop with each new letter. You could imagine a personality behind each letter and how they fitted into the writer's world. I didn't get that with Terry Ravenscroft.

Also, unlike Cooper, Ravenscroft is often quite aggressive in his letters. He often chides his correspondent for not replying soon enough or demands free vouchers or samples from them. He is also quite often rude, talking about his sex life and intimate health problems such as his "anal pain".

Another thing about this book I didn't like is that it gets a bit boring after a while because he writes mostly to food manufacturers and supermarkets. There are only so many interesting angles you can come at them from and he explored most of them in the first dozen or so letters, which meant that the rest seemed a bit recycled.

I don't know why, but I only laughed at the last few letters in the book. I smiled at a few others earlier on. I only paid half price which seems about right. This is a good book to pick up to read only a few letters at a time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Dec 2008 18:29:32 GMT
Anna says:
Was gonna read this, actually, cos I hearts The Timewaster Letters. Now I won't. Thanks :o) And Happy New Year, lovely. x

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2008 21:30:43 GMT
SAP says:
And the same to you too. Have you read the Timewaster Diaries too? I thought that was not too bad but not up to his usual standard. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2009 19:52:49 GMT
D. Maney says:
You should have bought this Dianna, happyreviewer has obviously had a humour bypass, while the Timewaster letters are ok they rely too much on the crude cartoons and not enough on wit and humour. Still, each to their own I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2009 20:34:14 GMT
:-O

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2009 11:24:52 GMT
I tell you what Anna, buy Dear Customer Services and if you don't like it I'll refund your money in full.

Terry Ravenscroft

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2009 23:32:42 GMT
Anna says:
Taa, but I trust his taste implicitly, so I'll take his word for it. Decent of you to offer, though.

As to you, D. Maney, I'm almost certain it's possible to disagree with someone without resorting to insults - ones that stopped being fashionable a good 30 years ago, no less.

Again, happy, thank you for the very helpful review :o)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2009 20:18:52 GMT
SAP says:
Come on, it's not as if I gave this book only one star! I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying it. I said it's a good book to pick up to read a few letters at a time at the end. I also said it made me smile and laugh! Sorry for not giving it five stars...

Anna, thanks. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2009 21:50:12 GMT
Anna says:
I am watching Independence Day... used to like this film! Now not so much. Ooh, mind, the big alien ship thingie is just opening up ready to blitz the Empire State Building and it still looks cool.

How be thee todaisy, happydude?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2009 17:23:00 GMT
SAP says:
I don't like those types of film. I don't watch many films, actually.

I'm not too bad. You?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2009 19:17:50 GMT
Happy New Year to all of you :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›