5.0 out of 5 stars To the point, honest account of what is wrong with today's food industry, 21 May 2013
This review is from: The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me (Paperback)
I really liked this book, and found his writing style to be engaging, honest, and to the point.

I found my way to "low carbing" ten years ago this year and through those years have moved from camp to camp until settling at a similar position to John.

What made this a good read is that, as he states himself, he's not trying to sell you a miracle one-diet-fits-all cure; he's simply giving you his personal experiences, which you are free to agree or disagree with. He's a real person, not a health guru trying to buy you in to a fad life-style.

I happen to think everything he's written is absolutely true and this is because I can see it from my own life and from the choices I make day to day about what goes down my throat.

I remember the days of trying to follow a low-fat diet, of reading gash fitness magazines like Men's Health - coming home from the gym in the evenings and cooking myself a skinless chicken breast, some rice and veg. Always hungry, and always feeling like there must be something wrong with me because I never felt fully satisfied. Nowadays I'm extremely fit (I wouldn't struggle to get on my bike and cycle 100 miles) and having to worry about my weight is something of little concern to me.

The problems of obesity and weight problems just disappear when you cut out your processed foods and stick to natural foods, and by natural I mean meat, fish and vegetables. Don't get me wrong, now and again I'll "treat" myself to a meal out, and eat whatever I want - but these treats are few and far between and are the exception to my diet, not the norm.

[Add comment]