5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to form from the (mostly) Swedish Masters of Melodic Death Metal, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: War Eternal (Audio CD)
I'd like to say that I have actually listened to this album, unlike the previous "reviewers" who just moaned about the price. This CD now costs less than it did when it was first put up for order, so I got it at the lowest price, which is what Amazon does. That price drop ALWAYS happens. Anyway, on with the review:

In the interests of full disclosure, I will state that I had got somewhat bored of Arch Enemy. I loved Wages Of Sin. I enjoyed Anthems Of Rebellion as well as much of the stuff they'd put out pre-Angela. I'd even been to see them play The Cockpit in Leeds, and really rather enjoyed that. They were actually that good, I can't remember who the support band were... but Doomsday Machine and the stuff I heard coming from the following albums... well... meh! pretty much summed up my feelings on what I was hearing.

So the next couple of albums passed me by. OK, I still read press releases and magazines about them, since I was still a fan of Spiritual Beggars and the articles were always interesting reading, but the music was... as I said above... meh!

Then, earlier on this year, the news broke that Angela was taking a move sideways into managing the band and they'd chosen a replacement in Alissa White-Gluz of Canadian Melodic Deathcore band, The Agonist. I can't say I'd paid much attention to them, since I'm only a fairly recent convert to the whole -core scene, but I checked out The Agonist's last album and was definitely interested. The videos Arch Enemy released over the next few weeks piqued my interest even more.

Anyway. This very morning, the awaited album arrived in my Inbox...

After an ominous orchestral introduction, Never Forgive, Never Forget kicks in and we're away. Arch Enemy haven't sounded this hungry or angry in years. It certainly looks like other newbie, Nick Cordle (formerly of Arsis) has energized Michael Amott. The snarling riff of the title track, War Eternal as well as some blistering soloing right the way across the album confirms this impression. From the early evidence of a first listen, it would seem that the addition of the two new members has given the band exactly the creative kick in the pants they needed to get out of the rut they'd ended up in as Angela and Chris lost interest in performing and writing. One of the most obvious points to note is that Alissa White-Gluz has a wider range, even when it comes to Death Metal growls, than Angela had. There's more musicality to the vocals, which is something Arch Enemy lacked more recently.

One of the most pleasant surprises with this album is that there is real variety. Probably due to the sepulchral keyboards, Stolen Life reminds me of Midian-era Cradle Of Filth... not a bad thing to my mind. Time Is Black strides confidently into Arch Enemy's traditional territory, but with stabs of orchestration and a closing almost mournful riff, it moves things on. The new confidence is evidenced, right at the end of the album by Not Long For This World. It's a BIG instrumental. Mournful and... with the final fadeout being the beeps of a heart monitor, somewhat sad. The track that follows that showstopper is Shadow On The Wall. The Arch Enemy "purists" will HATE it. It's far too different for them, which is why I love it. It's definitely Arch Enemy, but pushes in a completely different direction - PROPER Heavy Metal, with a riff that Tipton and Downing in their heyday would have been proud of.

This is a band that, thanks to the infusion of new blood, have become more adventurous, when many bands, faced with the same situation, would have gone out to produce a "classic-style" album to show that nothing had really changed.

Arch Enemy have most assuredly not done that. They've taken their sound forward, incorporating some of the melody that could be found in Alissa's work with The Agonist, and with a re-energized guitar partnership and the rock-solid rhythm section of quiet man Daniel Erlandsson on drums and man-mountain Sharlee D'Angelo on bass, the stage is confidently set for the future.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jun 2014 17:11:47 BDT
Mike Watson says:
Just check out the previous 'reviewers' you pass comment on - only one commented on the price in a negative way - and before the album was available. Just clarifying things. Now the album is on my car I can agree its a real addition to the Arch Enemy tradition - evolving and changing. I actually think Khaos Legions is epic - with some of the best melodic riffs going. Angela will be missed - and her aggression is not present on this album - which is more introvert - than the usual extrovert themes. I will be catching up with them in August at Altfest and later in the year on their tour with Kreator - tickets already sorted.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

Reviewer