5.0 out of 5 stars HTC 8X is an absolutely wonderful phone, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: HTC 8X Windows Phone 8 UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I own an I-pad 3. Everyone I know seems to have - and adore- their I-phone. So I understand how an Apple solution could work for me, but I went wth Windows. I have to say the Windows 8 phone experience on the HTC 8X is an absolute delight to use.

I loved my Nokia Lumina 800 and Windows 7 phone. But the cost of repairing a cracked screen made an update the only viable choice. And I agonised over a Lumina 920 or an 8X. I find the size, weight and dimensions of the 8X match my needs far better than the 920. Sorry Nokia, I, literally could not handle the 920.

What is there to like about the 8X?
* fast fluid and responsive controls.
* Brilliant, natural easy to read screen.
* Really comfortable to hold
* Crystal clear sound for calls
* Thin, light and hence, comfortable in a jeans pocket or suit jacket
* Set up took minutes and was simplicity itself - just insert you old micro SIMs card.
* Best sound when playing music I have ever hear from a mobile phone

If you are part of the Microsoft Eco System, a Windows 8 phone makes so much sense. Really tight integration between address books, calendars and messages. Anyone who has not used a Windows phone needs to see the use of hubs and ease of social messaging in action.

If there are regrets it is in the area of apps. DropBox and Spotify are on the way - soon I hope. I do miss Nokia maps.

Bottom line: if you gave me the choice of an I-phone 5 or an HTC 8X, I'd not hesitate: Why? I held my sons's I-phone 5 in my hand yesterday. By comparison, it felt heavy, thick and with way too small a screen.

My opinion: the X 8 every time. Absolutely no buyers regrets.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jan 2013 16:57:23 GMT
A. L. Wood says:
The iPhone 5 felt thick and heavy next to a phone which is far thicker and heavier? Not sure you've got that right.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2013 23:49:52 GMT
Woof Woof says:
Makes me query the validity of this review I'm afraid...the iPhone 5 is clearly much thinner and lighter than the HTC 8X!?!?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2013 04:49:38 GMT
Well that is my perception. I find the 8X lighter in the hand that an I-phone. I love Windows 8 and am a totally delighted customer.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2013 14:55:58 GMT
Did not like the feel of the I-phone in my hand. It did not feel right compared to the 8X

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 02:08:45 GMT
To me, the iPhone 5 felt flat-out awkward full stop. It looks a lot nicer, but it's far too flat for even my tiny hands to get real purchase on the thing. The chamfered edges didn't really feel right either--sure, they're not as sharp, but it still felt odd to have two edges pressing against my hands. Furthermore, typing on the thing is a joke. Cramped when vertical and something felt very "off" when using it horizontally. Probably, it was because of the aforementioned issue of flatness.

I've been putting off rooting my Desire Z, despite the stock Sense(less) experience aggravating constantly, but WP8 almost makes me want to bypass the fuss altogether and stick with a smoother and more distinct UI.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:17:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2013 22:18:41 BDT
Richie Rich says:
Some of you need to understand design and balance. Yes on a spec sheet an iPhone 5 may well be thinner and lighter but due to it's brick like ergonomics it feels clumsy, the pyramid design of the 8x and other HTC devices makes the device sit very comfortably in the hand both in terms of weight and also feel. Again, this might not be correct given the spec but what is more important than the spec sheet is real world use.

I had to get rid of my iPhone 5 as like a dangerous dog it doesn't play well with others and I need to be able to connect it to computers running a different OS like Windows on my travels (I have a Mac at home). My 8x received a faulty OTA update from HTC which bricked it beyond repair so I exchanged it for something else at the time. However I loved it before the faulty update and am now considering picking up another one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›