1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for fake reviews, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Fusion: The New Way of Marketing (Paperback)
The positive reviews on amazon influenced my decision to purchase this book. I regret buying this book. The authors did a good job promoting it on Amazon, i.e. 31 five star reviews is rare and unusual (that was the rating at the time of purchase).

The book is far from being perfect, high level and it offers very little original content. There are also some misleading statements, such as:
"The important thing to remember is that using social media is absolutely FREE and can take very little of your time if done intelligently." OR "The great thing about online marketing is that much of it is free".

When was the last time you managed to run a free online marketing campaign?

This comment in relation to the bounce rate metric is also wrong. "Generally speaking, the lower this is, the better - anything between 30% and 60% is acceptable". Anyone who has been involved in any conversion optimisation knows that bounce rate is only useful if it's reviewed in a certain context. 70% bounce rate could sometimes mean success too.

Overall, I do not recommend this book you can find more informative and free content online.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2012 10:50:20 BDT
David Miles says:
Paul, thank you for your comments on our book, Fusion. We would agree with you that the book is not completely perfect. It was written over a year ago and much has happened in the world of marketing. Furthermore, it was never meant to be a panacea for online marketing. It was aimed squarely at the SME owner who needed to get an overview on how to market themselves in the 21st Century. From the feedback we've had both from the training courses we run and the reviews here on Amazon, the book has achieved that.

We put our hands up and say that we may have got one or two things wrong within the book. We agree with your point about social media not *necessarily* being free. Of course, some organisations are spending thousands of community management. However, the point we were making was that the platforms themselves are free and therefore, if they are prepared to invest their own time, it is possible for business owners to market themselves on social networks without any financial outlay. Similarly with reference to bounce rates, you are correct about the need for context to analyse how acceptable they are. Again though, as was hopefully clear from the wording we used to introduce those figures, we were merely trying to put across a general view on the subject. The book has plenty of ideas for further and more in-depth reading, including online publications.

Addressing your point about the validity of the reviews on Amazon - we have indeed done a good job of promoting the book both on this site and via social media in general. However, we have not asked anyone to leave any fake reviews and are not aware that anyone has done so. In cases where we have known that a particular person has bought a copy of the book (either from Amazon or from us direct), we have asked them if they would be kind enough to put a review on Amazon, but we have not done anything to influence the content of those reviews. Many of the positive reviews on here are from people with whom we have never had any contact. We welcome feedback - positive or indeed negative - and can only apologise for the fact that the book did not live up to your expectations.

David Taylor & David Miles

Posted on 5 May 2012 11:13:06 BDT
Interesting, Luke (or is it Paul?), that you publish this negative review under cover of anonymity, while most of those who have published postive ones have done so using their real names, myself included. I stand by my review, which is not to say that this is or was the definitive book on the subject. It's of most value to small business owners who are wondering how social media marketing might fit in as part of their total marketing effort.

There is indeed a vast amount of free content online and elsewhere. The difficulty is sorting out the useful from the less useful and putting it into context.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 20:10:57 BDT
Luke says:
My name is Luke, I don't know why the authors are calling me Paul.

I've never been active on amazon hence my profile is not complete.

The reason I posted the above review is because the subject is close to my heart. After 10 years in the digital marketing industry it's frustrating to see the new generation of the social media marketeers abusing the review system to the extent that their poor quality content gets 31 five star reviews. It's just artificial and wrong. This is definitely not a five star book.

To the authors: There isn't just one or two things wrong, the book is full of errors and misinterpretations. Perhaps it's useful to small business owners but even they deserve true, objective and accurate content. If the book is aimed at small business owners why isn't this mentioned in the book description?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2012 16:01:14 BDT
Martin Nolan says:
I was going to buy this book until i saw your review. Thank you for saving me money. I'll be sure to warn all my industry colleagues about this book.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 08:58:39 BDT
Izzy45 says:
Thank you for your honest review. I have made a decision not to buy this book based on it. You are obviously a very knowledgeable person.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 21:11:12 BDT
Ja55mck says:
Thank you for your review Luke. Fake reviews on Amazon are becoming a real problem and I welcome your honest input and taking the time to post yours. Based on this I have decided against purchasing this book. I wondered though if you have come across any books you feel are worth purchasing on the subject?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 22:16:25 BDT
Ja55mck, I agree that fake reviews are a problem on Amazon, but I don't think that any of these reviews are fake. Moreover, I point out that the reviewers, unlike you, Izzy and Luke are all posting their opinions in their real names, and not hiding behind pseudonyms.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 22:18:47 BDT
Ja55mck says:
My name is Jason McKnight my amazon login is Ja55mck, I have nothing to hide unlike the the doubtful reviewers on this book. Its not hard to spot them!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 22:48:28 BDT
Ja55mck says:
I would also add that it is interesting that Mr Dougan who by his own admission knows the author and was 'given a copy of the book to review' should spring to his friends defence. Its easy to see that not all of these reviews are genuine you only have to read them. The best test however is that most of the reviewers have only ever written one review....fancy that, the book was so good that it compels people to write their one and only review!

Sorry but I don't buy that, I for one will be steering clear of this one.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 23:15:30 BDT
Well Json, that's fine. David is writing another book at the moment, and I'm sure that it will build on this one. There's nothing wrong woith reviewing books you are given to review, so long as you acknowledge that fact - I am a Vine reviewer, as you will see. I knew David as a social media marketing expert long before he wrote the book, and what he says is well worth listening to.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (36 customer reviews)

12.99