The Samsung LED TV appeals visually even before it is switched on, with a very thin profile (it is less than 5cm deep excluding the stand), no visible speakers and a minimalistic, yet robust and stylish stand. The picture and sound quality from the set are superb and overall I was delighted.
* Setting up is relatively straightforward; insert two pieces of the stand plus a cover, power lead, aerial, broadband and DVD/Sky connections. You are guided through the rest of the setting up via on screen menus with the minimal printed guide providing some ancillary information. A more fulsome guide is available on screen.
* The quality of the picture is very good and is easily tailored to suit most requirements using presets optimised for specific viewing such as 'movie'. Each preset is further adaptable using, for example, contrast and brightness controls so you can finely hone to taste. All pre-sets are easily readjusted back to factory settings through menu options.
* Similarly the sound can be set according to taste and, as well as the usual volume control, you can also specify, for example 'clear voice' - and that really does make a difference.
* Colours are vivid and bright but natural looking; combined with the clarity of sound it is easy to forget you are watching something on TV.
* One very useful feature is the ability to have the screen brightness automatically adjust to the level of light in the room. This reduces any potential for glare from the screen and, as well as being an energy saving feature, it makes the viewing experience much more enjoyable.
* The Smart Hub provides access to a range of programmes from catch-up BBC and ITV, pay-per-view films, You Tube and Apps, so you are really spoilt for choice. There is also a cache of 3D documentaries.
* Two pairs of glasses for 3D viewing are supplied. These are battery powered (supplied) and need to be paired with the TV prior to viewing. Whilst the choice of 3D viewing available from the free-to-view selection is limited, it is enough to whet the appetite and establish whether you want to watch more.
This TV has a very slim profile and doesn't overly dominate a room because of the lack of any baggage around the screen, such as visible speakers. This also has the effect of reducing visual distractions to the extent that we have found you can lose yourself much more easily and the action feels much closer almost as though viewed through a window rather than on screen.
We eventually (and for the first time) decided to fix the TV to the wall. I bought the specialised brackets (Samsung WMN250M Mini Wall Mount for Samsung TVs Upto 65 inch
) and the result is a television that seems to float just proud of the wall offering easy access for cables. The absence of any border means that it is very unobtrusive and resembles a sleek sheet of slate when switched off. When it is on the picture just hovers as if in space with no border whatsoever.