1.0 out of 5 stars The fourth round of an epic!!!! (spoiled by bugs), 15 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
ORIGINAL REVIEW

This game is truly, truly excellent!

I looked forward to this game for some time but I must admit that when I first played it with my girlfiend on my birthday I wasnt that impressed. The graphics were superb but the game seemed too random. We both just moved the conrol stick round till one of us got knocked out. This lead me to think that the game lacked the capacity to reward genuine gaming skill. However I was very wrong. The game is very different to round 3 which I was used to playing. It takes time to come to get used to the new conrols and when you do the game is very much about skill in both the two player and the single player modes.

It is the single game (legacy mode) that is the games ace card. The graphics are incredible but the game play is even better. You start off as an amatuer and try to become the greatest of all time over a long career. When you turn pro you start fighting in small, dusty clubs before moving onto tv fights at venue's like the Royal Albert Hall (Royal London Theatre)and eventually fighting at Madison Square Garden and in Las Vegas.
The games physics are what really makes it so playable. Punches connect hard, glance and land on different places on the head causing a variety of different reactions. So no fight or knockout is ever the same.
Its very fun. You can even record and save your guys knockouts or fighting clips and save tem to watch back in highlight mode! This is a brillaint feature that allows you to review your guys career even after he's retired! (harddrive needed for highlght mode!)

My own career has gone very well :) My guy has just won a brilliant 7 round fight for the Middlewight title after 31 fights with 30 ko's. I now plan to unify the division before moving up to Light-Heavyweight :)
Can't wait to continue playing :)

However the game is not perfect (just very close to being lol). The create a boxer option for career mode is not as good as fight night round 3. The options are not great but you can just about create a decent looking fighter if you put effort in. You also cannot change your boxers appearance during your career as you could in FNR3. This is annoying because I used to have fun changing my boxers haircuts for different fights. Yet these are minor gripes and the game is really worth buying especially if your into boxing but even if your not. Cannot reccomend highly enough :)

REVIEW UPDATE

Had to come back and update my review. For as good as this game is the legacy mode has a couple of major flaws that pretty much spoil it. When I first reviewed this game I had just won the title after 31 fights. However another reviewer mentioned that after 40 odd fights the career mode just stops and the game ceases to be fun. I thought he must be wrong becuase the manual says that you can move up two weight divisions and retire when you choose however old your fighter may be. Unfortinately that reviewer was right. I unified the titles at middlewieght, moved up to Light heavyweight and unified the titles there and then... nothing. Just the same fights against the same contenders with no regens. I fort Roy Jones and ko'd him in 3, then in 1 and then in 2. Calzaghe got pasted twice. Thomaz Adamek 4 times and then having become the G.O.A.T I had to just retire aged 28 because I was just fighting the same guys over and over. I researched it and one of the developers has admtted that you can only move up in weigtht once despite what the manual says. In Fight Night Round 3 you could move up twice and there were regular regens to fight for as long as you wanted. In Fight Night round 4 once youve won titles i your second weight division you may as well retire :( The other anoyance is that the top boxers in the game like Roy Jones, Joe Calzaghe and Mike Tyson are only avaragechamps in legacy mode. Joe Calzaghe retired in real life with a brilliant 46-0 (32ko) record. When I fort him in the game he was champ but had already lost 8 times. Same with Jones who had been ko'd five times aleady. Things like this spoil the realism for true boxing fans. So all in all the game is very good but this spoils the legacy mode for me which is why I brought the game. So from 5 stars I'd like to bring it down to 3. The gameplay and detail are great but the game could so easily be made great had they tweaked it a bit b4 release. So the game is very good but is perhaps not quite the epic I originally though it was :(

Just to add a bit more to this review. Having now played the game alot I have discovered a huge number of bugs that spoil the game further still. In fact if I now have to give the game 1 star. In Legacy mode there is a very common bug (google legacy bug and you will see how common this is!) that crashes your console every time you try to scedule a fight. This normally occurs arround the time of your 40th fight but sometimes earler. Your saved game will be corrupted and the only thing to do is start again :( There are several mre minor bugs I have found that I wont go into. However there is two more big ones. When you edit your boxer in legacy mode all your hard work in the game will be undone because your stats will be reset. Lastly if you scedule a fight then accept a challenge from another fighter your game will be stuck in a loop and you will never be able to progress or fight either fight. EA are aware of both these bugs and have released a patch that supposedly (have heard rumours that it doesnt) fixes them. However those of us who cant afford to go online with X-BOX LIVE (I'd need a £40 wireless adapter and would then need to pay a subscription to X-BOX Live) will just be stuck with a buggy game that is almost useless because it wasnt tested properly. Ive just had my 40-0 fights legacy ruined because of these bugs. Do I start again and risk the same thing happening wasting hours of gameplay or do I just sell the game and buy something I can rely on. You guess :)
Very dissapointing :(

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Feb 2010 02:23:19 GMT
Just to add a bit more to this review. Having now played the game alot I have discovered a huge number of bugs that spoil the game further still. In fact if I could edit my review again I would now give the game 1 star. In Legacy mode there is a very common bug (google legacy bug and you will see how common this is!) that crashes your console every time you try to scedule a fight. This normally occurs arround the time of your 40th fight but sometimes earler. Your saved game will be corrupted and the only thing to do is start again :( There are several mre minor bugs I have found that I wont go into. However there is two more big ones. When you edit your boxer in legacy mode all your hard work in the game will be undone because your stats will be reset. Lastly if you scedule a fight then accept a challenge from another fighter your game will ber stuck in a loop and you will never be able to progress or fight either fight. EA are aware of both these bugs and have released a patch that supposedly (have heard rumours that it doesnt) fixes them. However those of us who cant afford to go online with X-BOX LIVE (I'd need a £40 wireless adapter and would then need to pay a subscription to X-BOX Live) will just be stuck with a buggy game that is almost useless because it wasnt tested properly. Ive just had my 40-0 fights legacy ruined because of these bugs. Do I start again and risk the same thing happening wasting hours of gameplay or do I just sell the game and buy something I can rely on. You guess :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2010 01:55:35 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2010 12:24:07 BDT
N. Thompson says:
Well in legacy mode - my created fighter had over 60 fights and there were no bugs at all ... so maybe its just your copy. However, to appreciate the game fully you need xbox live.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›