1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Waste of Money, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Samsung CLX-3175 Colour Laser Printer, Copier and Scanner (Personal Computers)
When this printer first arrived, I was very pleased with it. Print quality was good, print speed was OK, and the built-in scan/copy function was a bonus.

However, as I continued to use it, I soon realised its shortcomings. I don't print a massive amount, but I've spent probably around 500 on toner for this printer in around 6 months (compared to maybe 100 on inkjet ink for the same job, previously). I couldn't find any "compatible" toners, so I had to use Samsung originals, and it also doesn't seem possible to refill them with toner powder as they are chipped. The toners never print as many pages as claimed... apparently this is because the amount of pages a toner cartridge can print is based on some ridiculous figure like 5% page coverage. How many times do you only print on 5% of a page?!

Even more annoying, my prints have just started coming out of the printer with two light coloured vertical bands running down them. I suspect this is the imaging unit needing replacing and, frankly, I'm not prepared to pay another 90-130 for one when the printer (complete with tester toner cartridges, i.e. they don't fill them right-up) only costs [] brand new!

Samsung operate a free toner recycling service, but its a nightmare trying to find on their website how to arrange returning them, so I'm sure a lot of people simply bin them and to-hell with the environmental impact of toner powder leaching into the water course and soil.

I bought this Samsung laser printer because I was fed up with inkjet cartridges clogging up, but having owned this abomination for a while now, I now realise that its far cheaper to replace the odd ink cartridge than it is to keep this Sansung laser printer running!

I would NEVER buy another Samsung laser printer, and wish I had heeded the few negative reviews of this product before I bought it, rather than wishfully thinking that the positive reviews were more likely to be accurate.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]