5.0 out of 5 stars EMI's epic 5CD + DVD boxset reminds everyone of the Pop Career of one of Britain's greatest female vocalists of all time!, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Completely Cilla [1963-1973] [DVD Included] (Audio CD)
Of all the great Pop Singers from the 1960s "Cilla Black" is the most underrated! People tend to forget that before her days of entertaining millions on some of Britain's most iconic television shows (e.g. Blind Date and Surprise, Surprise) she was during the '60s our biggest selling female star of the pop world. This was quite an achievement when you consider what a highly competitive decade it was featuring some of the most amazing British talent of all time - each fighting for the top spot on the UK music charts. Cilla however "effortlessly" enchanted millions of music lovers and achieved 18 "Top 40" hit singles during this decade - including two back to back #1 singles ("Anyone Who Had A Heart" and then "You're My World").

The red-haired, Liverpool born legend celebrates her 50th anniversary in show business during 2013. This set is released by EMI as the prelude to those celebrations and my oh my it certainly acts as a great reminder to why Great Britain, Europe and Australia first fell in love with her!

What you get in EMI's bumper boxed set are 6-discs offering you Cilla Black's finest work as a recording artist - that's every A&B side single, EP & album song she released between 1963 and 1973. Contained are a staggering 139 "digitally re-mastered" songs all sequenced in original recording date order - this gives the listener a good feel for how she grew and developed as an artist during her signing to the Parlophone label. All the 139 songs were also "quality controlled" by the legendary producer Sir George Martin - he was responsible for many of The Beatles' biggest hit albums and singles. When hitting play prepare yourself for lushly orchestrated power ballads, delicate soft jazz numbers, soulful pop tunes and gospel extravaganzas - all demonstrating Cilla's incredible vocal range!

As a bonus the 5CDs come with a NTSC 'Region 0' DVD (playable in North America) of performances from the BBC TV archive - this is going to especially appeal to any SUPER FANS who already own everything Black related in their collection. These videos make for fascinating viewing as now you get to see "Cilla the Live Performer" do what she did best on her sell-out concert tours and top-rated TV variety shows of this era. 22 previously unavailable music performances are included with my personal highlights being stunning performances of "I Don't Know How To Love Him" (from musical 'Jesus Christ Superstar') and the Lennon/McCartney classic "Norwegian Wood".

Still unsure if this set is worth the money? Well you also get an extensive 36 page booklet featuring some previously unpublished photographs, detailed track information and the icing on the cake are the recently acquired anecdotes from Cilla and many of the key people who were involved in her pop career during the time period of the set. This includes new contributions from Sir George Martin, Sir Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, Sir Cliff Richard, Randy Newman, Jimmy Tarbuck OBE, Roger Greenaway, Les Reed OBE, Tony Newman (of Sounds Incorporated), Margo Quantrell (of The Breakaways), Tony Barrow (Cilla's Press Officer), John Lyndon (Director of Cilla's Live Productions) and her music arrangers John Scott, Mike Vickers and Chris Gunning. It's all fascinating stuff and an eye opener to how the creative process worked.

There may have been Lulu, Dusty, Sandie and Shirley who were all undeniably awesome singers (and ones whose CDs I own) but until you have experienced the magic of CILLA BLACK your music collection is incomplete. So if you only ever buy one "CILLA BLACK" release in your life then this set has to be the one to get as with all its high points it reaffirms Cilla as the "ULTIMATE" Queen of Sixties Brit-Pop!

YES - it is true what they say "ONCE YOU'VE TRIED BLACK THERE'S NO TURNING BACK!".

TRACK LISTING:-

CD1
01. A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues
02. Shy Of Love
03. Love Of The Loved
04. Anyone Who Had A Heart
05. Just For You
06. You're My World (Il Mio Mondo)
07. This Empty Place
16. Every Little Bit Hurts
17. Come To Me
18. Baby It's You
19. I'm Not Alone Any More [Stereo Version]
20. One Little Voice (Uno Di Voi)
21. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
22. Goin' Out Of My Head

07. Baby I'm Yours
08. The Real Thing [Stereo Version]
09. One Two Three
10. Make It Easy On Yourself
11. Love's Just A Broken Heart (L'amour Est Ce Qu'il Est)
12. A Lover's Concerto
13. Everything I Touch Turns To Tears
14. Alfie
15. Night Time Is Here
16. Sing A Rainbow
17. Don't Answer Me (Ti Vedo Uscire)
18. The Right One Is Left
19. A Fool Am I (Dimmelo Parlami)
20. For No One
21. Abyssinian Secret
22. Trees And Loneliness
23. Time
24. There I Go (Se Per Te C'e Soltanto Quell'uomo)
25. Only You Can Free My Mind
26. What Good Am I?
27. Over My Head
28. Misty Roses
29. All My Love (Solo Tu)
30. Follow Me

CD3
01. What The World Needs Now Is Love
02. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me
03. This Is The First Time
04. I Only Live To Love You (Cosa Si Fa Stasera)
05. Suddenly You Love Me (Uno Tranquillo)
06. From Now On
07. I Couldn't Take My Eyes Off You
08. A Man And A Woman (Un Homme Et Une Femme)
09. Yo Yo
10. Follow The Path Of The Stars
11. Work Is A Four Letter Word (Film Version)
12. Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
13. Step Inside Love
14. Where Is Tomorrow? (Non C'è Domani)
15. Work Is A Four Letter Word
16. Your Heart Is Free (Just Like The Wind) (Le Vent Et La Jeunesse)
17. It'll Never Happen Again
18. Liverpool Lullaby
19. Without Him
20. Forget Him
21. Think Of Me (Siamo Qui)
22. I Am A Woman
23. Surround Yourself With Sorrow
24. Only Forever Will Do (Prigioniero Del Mondo)
25. London Bridge
26. Aquarius
27. Red Rubber Ball
28. You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart)

CD4
11. Sweet Inspiration
12. Put A Little Love In Your Heart
13. The April Fools
14. Both Sides Now
15. Mysterious People (Det Gatfulla Folket)
16. Dear Madame

06. Just Friends
07. Down In The City
08. Help Me Jesus
09. Sleep Song
10. Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight)
11. The World I Wish For You
21. Winterwood
22. Day By Day
23. You You You
24. Silly Wasn't I?

DVD - Many of the performances are taken from the BBC TV Show CILLA of the late 1960s and early 1970s
01. Suddenly You Love Me (Uno Tranquillo) [1968]
25. (I Wanted To Call It) Off [1977]
26. DVD EXTRA : Desert Island Disc Interview By Roy Plomley (audio only) [1964]
27. DVD EXTRA: Passing Strangers (with Cliff Richard) [1968]
28. DVD EXTRA: Norwegian Wood (Accompanied By Marvin, Welch & Farrar) [1971]
29. DVD EXTRA: Something Tells Me - Opening sequence to BBC TV Show 'Cilla' [1973]

[Add comment]