1.0 out of 5 stars Reader...redeem thyself, 4 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4): 6 (Paperback)
Just finished this, my fourth Harry Hill...sorry....Harry Hole and I only wish there was an International Award for 'Mental Endurance' or 'Depth of Reader Suffering' I could nominate myself for after this latest experience...as with all previous. For anyone interested enough to wonder why I have subjected myself to such a personal brand of masochism when my experience after Nemesis suggested that I really ought to have followed this line of inquiry no further, please look back to my Nemesis review.

I wonder what drives me to write my second book review ever?....and it's only happening - practically an involuntary act - in relation to Jo Nesbo novels. At the bottom of it all, I think I'm seeking redemption...to save, rescue, reclaim myself...cleanse myself? Most certainly to try and redress the balance and cleanse the name of Stieg Larsson who has been used so mercilessly for commercial reasons regarding the Nesbo detective series when there is no comparison in quality as I see it.

To date, my experience of Nesbo is akin to the Emperor's new clothes and I feel I have been given no other option than to shout as loudly as I can...'Your Majesty - you really are naked although you're being told otherwise - believe me!'

I have been accused of having previously inserted a 'mini-spoiler' regarding my Nemesis review so as this sounds painful, I've refrained in this instance but the temptation is great....being a further attempt to rescue other readers before they sink too deeply into the land of fluff where nothing of any literary substance is allowed to exist.

If I use the principles of a standard approach, the plot isn't too bad if I'm honest....although not exactly cutting edge considering it concerns the Machiavellian politics of the Salvation Army. The characterisation remains poor to the extent that when principal characters (I would ideally want to have empathy with) totter around in distress or fall off the edge completely... or be pushed off it...I don't really care. Who would? They were only written to the depth of cardboard cut-outs anyway. Talking about 'wood' so many of the dialogues are heavy, starched or stilted that one moment I think I'm reading a Mills and Boon (Harry with his 'many' female admirers) whereas the next I return to comic spoof or at least the high farce of an - at heart - inept detective who for some miraculous reasons, always seems to catch up with or fall over the perpetrator at the end. Harry saves the day!

Although I have given absolutely no idea concerning what this book is about, I hope the reader can grasp my pained sentiment and thus save themselves (redeem themselves even?) from unnecessary mental fatigue and anguish. There are some fantastic Scandinavian novelists out there....please go to them.

For myself there is no such likelihood of redemption. My original sin was that I had previously bought five Nesbos as a 'job lot' therefore I now must suffer..waste not want not....until the Snowman has melted and I can finally be released from such torment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Nov 2011 13:33:17 GMT
Jens Roedler says:
I recommend that the author of this critique write his own book instead of besmearing our beloved, god-like, and truly incomparable Norwegian genius. I loved the Leopard and I have rarely read a more perfect translation.

Posted on 13 Nov 2011 02:02:51 GMT
2 one stars, 39 five stars and 4.5 stars overall - sorry what was your point again?

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 04:48:42 GMT
S. Curtis says:
Could I have the names of the better scandinavian novels please. They must be well worth reading so can't wait!

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 22:20:30 GMT
What an ill informed and self regarding review. Perhaps the writer became seduced by the sound of their own ego!
Take no notice of the peacock above. . Nesbo is a refined, subtle and consistently powerful writer. Larsson is rather 'clunky' and lacks Nesbo's immediately involving flair for bleak narrative.

Posted on 12 May 2012 00:56:29 BDT
mike says:
i loved your review. couldn't have written a better one myself and completely agree with you. I would like to burn every word off his books. He is purely rubbish and not a god like novelist!! I would like to add that the 39 4-5 starts will fit in the category of small things for small minds! No offence intended obviously :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 16:32:01 BDT
Bookworm says:
Your beloved perhaps , I think Nesbo is a very poor writer who could learn a lot about writing from this reviewer, 'God-like' you must be a bit starved of decent writers in Scandinavia.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2012 16:32:50 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Sep 2012 16:33:51 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013 11:34:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2013 11:36:00 GMT
Yes but what did you think of "The Redeemer" Jens? - this is NOT a review of "The Leopard"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›