ARRAY(0xb600d384)

2.0 out of 5 stars Its a bit of a pretty blatant rip off of JR Ward, Lara Adrian, Alexandra Ivy, Bianca d'Arc...a pity., 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: Fury of Fire (Dragonfury Series #1) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love paranormal tales - weres, dragons, vamps, shifters - I'm happy to try any. With this one, admittedly there wasn't a great bunch of offerings on amazon vine, but the cover was very similar to the type of book I read, so I quickly grabbed it after reading the blurb. I was sure I would be getting a paranormal romance/urban fantasy, with dragon shifters, a la Bianca d'Arc/Lara Adrian/Alexandra Ivy/Allyson James. Well, I got a poor imitation of some of the above, fused with an imitation of JR Ward material - but nowhere nearly as good as any of these authors.

The blurb tells you that it's about good dragons battling for the existence of their race, and battling bad dragons, with the leader of the good ones, Bastian, being ready for a mating with a human that would result in a male being born to his race, and the human dying (tough). Not the best ending, but wait, it's meant to be a romance, so I read on...

At around a third of the way through, nothing much had happened between the leads, but due credit, the author was creating her world, I thought. Not so, not really, as she just dropped dragons into our world, incognito. No real world-building, but it was s..l..o..w.

At around two thirds of the way through, the leads got down and...not really that dirty, which was rather disappointing. There should have been more angst, more fire - both figuratively and literally, and more passion. Also around this time, I kind of clocked that the author hadn't really done anything original, and wondered if this was a case of her being a fan of JR Ward, Alexandra Ivy and Lara Adrian, and this tale being her tribute to them? She used names a la Alexandra Ivy - Venom (AI has Viper; the latter actually nearly got used in this tale), Torture/Torch (too much a la JRW with Tohrment), she used Forge, whom she made sound SO like Rhage from JRW's BDB series, she used 'bellmia' as an endearment, which was a touch too like Bella from one of JRW's BDB tales, and plain 'bella mia' a la cheesy Italian. She used American urbanisms a la JRW, but because of the latter, I was pretty familiar with most, and they didn't have me searching for the urban dictionary. She used an underground baddie lair/compound, a la...all three authors. She used a lot of 'my brother' and 'the warrior', and 'female of worth', the latter two in the third person, a la JRW. She even had the good dragons listening to Tupac et al, just like in JRW's BDB series. She even had a man-of-all-trades like old Fritz in JRW's BDB series. She had an evil, mad, scientist baddie a la Lara Adrian...are you being to see a pattern here? I have to ask, did the author's editor and publisher not spot all of these similarities and think, 'hey, I wonder if we might end up sued for copying/near plagiarism?'.

Additionally, this was clearly aimed at a US audience, with the many US expressions, abbreviations and speech that this was peppered with. I would think quite a few readers might struggle with this, much as I did with my first JR Ward tale...before I got bored with her affectations.

Admittedly, had I spotted this tale in a shop and paid for it, I'd have been fuming at the tale, and it's lacking-ness, and fuming that it was my own fault for judging a book by its cover and not researching the author, and for the fact that I couldn't get my money back. HOWEVER, the author can write, though nothing very exciting, by what I read here. It had massive potential, it could have been great, but this book, book 1 in the series, needs a serious re-write. It needs sexing-up, literally and figuratively, it needs livening up, it needs to be longer. Most of all, it needs to be new and original.

BTW, after reading the original book I got from amazon, an ARC, I thought that I'd skimmed through 400 pages pretty quickly, and that the tale wasn't great, but then I realised that I had 185 pages missing between chapters 20 and 30 or so - the book had failed to draw me in, so I hadn't really noticed. I contacted amazon and was sent a further, complete ARC, and read that, and really didn't change my review too much. Hmmm...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]