3.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, but flawed, phone, 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: GOOGLE Nexus One
I decided to import this phone from the US Google site back in February as I decided that I couldn't wait any longer for it. When it arrived I was very impressed with the build quality of the unit as well as the huge screen and that was before I even turned it on! I have never used an Android handset before so I was pleased to see how easy it was to set up my mail and import my contacts onto it. The screen is superbly sharp and the colours vivid and a joy to look at, it's easy to use and the voice search system is brilliant. Once the software update had done its thing you also have multi-touch on most apps, this was one thing that it got marked down on in a series of reviews I read before I purchased it so alls good there However.....
After a couple of days of having it I noticed that I would start to type out a text message and instead of the screen recognising where I was pressing it would register about an inch below. initially I thought it was me doing something wrong but as the days rolled on it would start happening more and more often, and not just to typing in text but also navigating around the menus etc, to the extent where writing out an e-mail or text became practically impossible. I had a look on the support forum and there are a LOT of other people with the same problem, some of which are on their second or third replacement handsets and it's still happening. This really put me off the phone and in the end I decided to play it safe and get a refund from Google.
Summing it up I'd say that if you buy one and are lucky enough to get a handset without the screen fault you will have bought yourself a superb phone that does it all. Dare I say it but some of the friends of mine with iPhones were quite jealous of it! BUT please be aware of the problem that I and hundreds of other people have had. I suggest you check out the Google Nexus help forum to see what other people are saying before plunging in the deep end.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Apr 2010 19:51:40 BDT
Ó. Egilsson says:
A link to the forum where people are complaining would make your review more sound.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2010 10:36:58 BDT
@ O. Egilsson

Here you go: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=04134c63c784258e&hl=en

Posted on 26 Jun 2010 10:42:16 BDT
DS says:
Thanks, that was a really helpful review. It's so confusing trying to buy a new gadget these days!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 20:33:28 BDT
D. Sharpe says:
I also found the problem annoying, but it went away after a reboot. However, with the recent update to 2.2 (Froyo), I have not noticed the problem at all yet. What an amazing phone.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2010 10:28:54 BDT
@ D. Sharpe - Yes I've heard that the Froyo update has helped this matter, I'm running the update on my unlocked HTC Desire and it's a great improvement on 2.1

Posted on 23 Aug 2010 02:01:19 BDT
Sawyer says:
Thanks for posting this. It's good to see a balanced review from someone who has experienced faults with their individual product. I'm sure it would be all too easy for you to write a 1-star "Worst Phone Ever!" rant based on the problems you and others have had. Instead you gave a very fair and helpful review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (11 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £179.99