5.0 out of 5 stars Was not sure..... but actually very impressed, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: JUSTOP Jtouch 7 HD Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet PC A9 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz CPU 1GB RAM 8GB NAND Flash 7" 1024 x 600 Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen - web Camera - HDMI - Supports SKYPE , Youtube, BBC iPlayer , NetFlix , Facebook, FilmON , TV Catchup
I have had my eye on iPads and such for some time to use as a device to quickly look at something on the net and for my daily 3hour train commute each day. The cost of the iPads were a massive turn-off for me and in addition to the rapid changes of models I was looking to spend as little as possible.
I found myself looking for cheap tablets and came across the Jtouch Tablet, I read plenty of reviews for similarly priced tablets and I did read other people complaining about battery times and/or the power units falling out the device when they unplugged the devices, so my expectations were low to start off with.

The Jtouch arrived in its packaging, fairly basic but well protected before I did anything I left the device to charge for a few hours. When I first powered the device on I did not know what I was doing as I had never used a Android OS before but managed to navigate around. The keyboard layout was UK and I had to change the regional settings to the UK and that was it.
I easily managed to connect to the wireless network and found my way into the App store and downloaded a few utilities and games. I had some AVI films on a micro-SD card and played these via the device, picture quality was good however there were points when the video struggled with the rendering but this could be down to the device running multiple apps that were using the other processes to run the movie, that said it was a big 2.5Gb AVI file so I was surprised it played it. Going forward I will ensure that any other apps are closed while playing big films, if that doesn't work I may look at converting the movies to the recommended format which was why I was surprised it played in the first place. A downside was that the sound quality was not so good playing through the speaker, which does not bother me as I would be using the device with headphones and the sound from the videos was OK (this could of been the one film) however there was no quality issues while playing music, the sound was clear and loud.

I though the colours on the screen were clear, the screen rotation was not laggy, the keyboard has been accurate so far and the applications available are much better than what is available on my iPhone. I did read some complaints on other tablets with regards to wireless strength, this little device manages to receive a good signal and keep it. Downloading apps is very fast and webpages load very quickly, I have yet to try Netflix or Iplayer as yet.

So on conclusion of using the device for a couple of days I am very happy with the Jtouch, the things that make me happy are the price and knowing that I could of paid 5-6 times the amount for an iPad. The screen resolution for games and video playback is much better than expected. The general feel of the device is solid however I am going to be very delicate with the power inlet as it appears to feel lose and I'm wary of some reviews of tablets from the under £150 range that these fail. I do look after my gadgets and would be careful when using the device when it is on charge but if this was in the hands of someone who is not so cautious I could see this as a bit of a potential problem, that said it could happen with any device.

The next key things is of course the battery time! The jury is still out for me on this, I will have to come back and leave a review in a week. I left the Jtouch on charge all night last night and used it when I was on the train this morning. I watched a video for about 20mins and then decided to connect to the wireless on the train and checked emails, downloaded some new apps, total time of use 1 hour while doing all those things. I came into work and downloaded a(lot) more apps on the works wireless so again I have now used the device for 2 hours with wi-fi enabled and the processor working away quite hard. The battery meter now says there is 50% left. Enough for my train ride home and if I was getting that low on power I would disable some of the features like wi-fi to save power.

Overall I am happy with spending £76 pounds for this little beauty, I think a bit of research will be required for a app monitor app to ensure that any processes are closed down that don't need to run, I think that this may be some "User" training required as I am used to a IOS or Windows so Android is all new to me. There are a few quirks such as the JTouch will not boot up (when powered off not on stand-by) when the headphones are plugged in, but i found a workaround which was to simply un-plug the headphones while I switch it on, I imagine that someone would of knocked a star off for that. I am a little disappointed that you cannot charge via the USB when it is connected to a power adapter or the PC, that would of been a nice touch but again not the end of the world. I'll just buy another adapter for £7 and keep one at work.

I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for, I was looking for something to surf the web and watch a few videos on while on the train, this hits the spot perfectly and I have a bonus of all the other games and applications on there, I'm sure I'll be using it for more things. I am even tempted to buy another one for my daughter for her birthday as I think these are very good value for money.

JUSTOP Jtouch 7" Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet PC A9 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz CPU 1GB RAM 8GB NAND Flash 7" Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen - HDMI - Supports SKYPE 2.9 , Youtube, BBC iPlayer web , NetFlix , Facebook, FilmON, TV Catchup

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Feb 2013 21:33:26 GMT
April L. says:

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 14:44:14 GMT
AmK says:
Thank you so much for your review as I'm considering getting one for myself. As it doesn't mention it on the product information I was wondering if I could bother you with a quick question? It says that it supports a SD micro card but it doesn't say up to what limit? Would it take a 8, 16 0r 32 mg? Does it perhaps say on the box or instructions? Thank you again for any help :) Amy

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 21:08:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2013 21:10:10 GMT
Butch says:
Hi,
I'm currently using a 16Gb micro Sd card, not tried anything larger but watching movies works fine.

Altho noticed the prices have increased, in hindsight I may of paid slightly more and gone for a named brand such as the Samsung's now.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 21:14:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2013 21:16:04 GMT
AmK says:
Awesome...thank you for the sd card information. I think that you're right about the price but I'll keep my eyes on it just in case there's a good sale. Thanks again :)

Posted on 23 Mar 2013 14:55:45 GMT
Please help where is the rear camera JUSTOP Jtouch 7 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet PC A9 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz CPU 1GB RAM 8GB NAND Flash 7" 1024 x 600 Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen - Front And Back Cameras - HDMI - Supports SKYPE 2.9 , Youtube, BBC iPlayer web , NetFlix , Facebook, FilmON, TV ...

Posted on 26 Mar 2013 05:59:36 GMT
Spiff says:
You've had this unit for a good two months now. You mentioned in a reply that you might have changed your mind and have gone with a Samsung which is considerably more expensive than this unit. Is it because, like a lot of new android users, you've discovered that not only do you really like android but you've discovered the limitations of your unit which are often relative to the price? I want two android tablets myself. A cheap 7" that works really well (jelly bean) and a really good one (ice cream sandwich) that rocks. I'm learning to program Android in windows 7 using the SDK development kit. It's amazing what you can do. You sound like someone who might enjoy making apps.

So overall, considering that there are indeed a lot of great android devices out there anywhere from £50 to £200 (and some of them come with 2gigs of DDR-3 memory and 16gigs of ram), do you think this relativley inexpensive unit is worth getting? Have you ironed out all the kinks? How did the video rendering finally work out? Still glitchy and stuggle or did closing apps help? What limitations have you discovered with this inexpensive unit? Would you have also considered spending maybe £20 or £30 extra for something different? Are you still happy with the screen resolution?

Any other little details of your personal experience would be interesting to read. I enjoyed your review as it was intelligent and well thought out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›