5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Creatures!!!, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray] [1931] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Well, what to say about this lavish boxset unleashed upon us by Universal. 8 classic monster movies (9 if you count the Spanish Dracula seperately) immaculately presented on Bluray for our viewing pleasure.

All I can say after viewing both Draculas, Frankenstein and a quick viewing of the other movies in the set, is STUNNING! Thank you Universal. The picture quality is quite incredible as far as I can see. Viewing on a 42" TV through a PS3. The upgrade in picture and sound quality, from the DVD editions, is remarkable as you would expect. I have compared them haha.

My only little gripe is the version of Phantom of the Opera is not the version from 1925 with a really creepy phantom but the 1943 one which I havent seen but Im sure is a fine film and is also the only colour film of the entire set and as such, to me, seems slightly out of place. Nevermind though, with a package this good it seems churlish to gripe.

Extras for all the films vary in quality but all have at least a commentary or 2 from some well regarded film historian/buff/scholar and some form of making of the production included. Great stuff all round. In particular the featurette on restoring Dracula for HD was very interesting.

We even get a 3D version of Creature From the Black Lagoon whcich will be nice when I get my 3DTV :)

Rounded out with a set of postcards with the original posters for the films and a brilliant booklet brimming with info this set is a must own at its ridiculously cheap price!!

Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2012 16:15:30 BDT
J. T. Rijks says:
are there dutch subtitles?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 09:35:53 BDT
no dutch subs that i could see im afraid

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 15:12:20 BDT
The Baroness says:
So far all us uber-critical folks are super pleased. Just goes to show, invest the time and we'll invest our dimes. Very pleased with this set, VERY excited for the bigger Hitchcock set for next month now!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012 09:34:05 BDT
yeah, I've been looking forward to the Hitch box too, although having now had an extra couple months to think about it, I may just wait for the individual releases I really want rather than the box. I already have the masterpiece collection on DVD plus an amazing edition of Rear Window on DVD and the BluRays' of NxNW and Psycho so there's probably only another 5 titles in the set I'd really desire on Blu. We shall see how reviews bear up in 4 weeks ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012 21:50:04 BDT
M. Kenny says:
see review:Blu-Ray Box: LANGUAGES AND SUBTITLES, 10 Oct 2012

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 10:29:34 BDT
I didn't at all enjoy the 1943 Phantom (as much as I like Claude Rains). It had too much misplaced comedy and nowhere near the requisite menace.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2012 09:33:04 BDT
Still haven't got round to watching it properly yet....but I will.....I just would have preferred the Lon Chaney silent version

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 18:46:24 GMT

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 11:43:12 GMT
Bored@Work says:
I have most of these on DVD so probably wont buy again, but would love to see the hi-def upgrade. I bet the wonderful mono photography is awesome in 1080p.
The 3D version of Creature should be viewable on any tv as this was done using the blue/green stereoscopic process, I think 3D tvs are for the more recent polarized and active shutter 3D processes. Happy viewing.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 08:00:36 GMT
I had most of them on DVD too but the upgrade in picture quality is so worth the investment. Especially at the price!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›