1.0 out of 5 stars poorly done, with little or nothing for the beginner or the more experienced, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Creative Makers: Simple Crochet (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was initially taught to crochet by my mother, when I was about six years of age, and in the intervening years I have made crocheted items ranging from pram covers, baby and adult bed blankets to jumpers, cardigans, tops, dresses and shawls; and never once have I wasted wool on an apple cosy!

Wool and crochet thread are expensive items and you have to be sure of what you want to make before laying out all that moolah. Even when I have had a partial ball left over I have used it to make blanket (oops sorry that should be "quilt") squares - at least when put together they will keep you warm during a cold snowy winter.

This book does nothing to forward the cause of crocheting - if anything it does the reverse and puts it firmly back in the stereotypical doillie and granny knickers frills (I kid you not). There are "face cloths" which I can remember my Nan making from the short scraps of wool that couldn't be used for anything else. She, however, used them as floor cloths.

Though I will say that one of the worst items is on page 120 - a "Leather Steering Wheel Cover".

This loose fitting cover with large loops would be a significant danger to use while driving all it would take is for it to slip on the steering wheel as you were trying to negotiate a bend or traverse a traffic island and you could end up in a serious accident. Aside from which, if I was going to expend the sort of money that would be required to purchase leather cord I would certainly not be using it on something so shoddy and so incredibly dangerous.

The instructions are poorly done. Please believe me that crocheting is one of the easiest crafts to use and to see the mess that the "author" has made of the easiest stitch makes me cringe.

The way Ms Singuglia holds the hook and yarn is completely opposed to the way I was taught. She holds it like a knitting needle hook upward where as I hold it like a pen (hook downward) that way I can control the turn of the hook better with just the slightest manipulation of finger and thumb.

It may also explain why her images look so awkward and her descriptions are so cack-handed.

Never have I seen a more inept way of producing a starting slipknot, nor a more problematic way of performing a slipstitch (which she admits is one of "the most basic stitches, apart from the chain" - well I suppose I should be grateful that she acknowledges that the chain is basic.

After spending several weeks trying to find something that might be positive for beginners or the more experienced crochet makers, I am afraid that other than the scarf on page 134 there is nothing I would bother with in this book, not even the instructions.

I have been left wondering if Sara Singuglia has ever crocheted in her life, or if she just sat there on her laptop looking up patterns on Google (other search engines, as they say, are available).

Never has a company been so aptly named - "Hatchette" - because, in my opinion, they have done a complete hatchet job on crocheting.

[Add comment]