4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly decent for wireless headphones, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Philips SHC5100/05 Wireless HiFi Headphone (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had a some Sennheiser wireless headphones Sennheiser RS110 RF Wireless Headphone for a few years which suited me just fine for use with my computer until all sound just stopped in one side. In comparison to them, I've found these Philips ones much better and now feel it's too bad that I didn't consider Philips when I bought the Sennheisers, which I went for merely because I find their earphones top notch.

Pros
- These Philips headphones are much more comfortable, which is a big deal for me because I've always found others, including wired Sony ones, too tight.
- Compared to Sennheiser, they're also very light so my neck doesn't feel strained after wearing it for hours at a time.
- Huge signal range - I've walked around the house with them and had no problems with receiving sound or experience a reduction in clarity. Even going out of the house to the back of the garden did not bear any impact on the signal or sound quality.
- No fiddly tuning like my old Sennheisers, you just choose from 2 channels to find the clearest signal
- No sudden, loud static sound if the headphones aren't receiving a signal (another fault with the Sennheisers), the transmitter just turns off, though the red power indicator on the headphones stays on so you have to make sure you turn the switch off there yourself to save the battery

Cons
- As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a slight hissing sound, but I've experienced this with the Sennheisers too so it doesn't bother me, especially as I find the hiss less noticeable with the Philips. But it certainly helps if the volume on the headphone is turned low and the PC volume high.
- Unlike the Sennheisers, there's no built-in rest for it while it charges so it can get cluttered if you're short of desk space like me.

Average
- Sound isolation isn't complete at medium volume, if you're interested in that, as you can still hear voices/conversations (muffled) with them on. Again though, this doesn't bother me personally as I need to listen out for the kids.
- It took the best part of a day to charge the headphones for the first time then after an hours use they needed recharging! They seem to last longer after being left to charge overnight though, so if you use them regularly I'd suggest recharging every night.
- I didn't experience any issues with regards to interference from other radio sources such as baby monitors, handset radios, etc. There were the few times that a mobile phone signal was heard just before a mobile phone rings or receives an SMS, but this happens even with normal speakers. I do need to stress that whilst I heard no interference from other radio sources, it may be due to the fact that there were none in the surrounding area. I was not able to test it manually as I don't have any walkie-talkies or baby monitors.

All in all these are pretty decent wireless headphones, especially considering the retail price. They're much better than my old Sennheisers, but I bought those ones 4 years ago so perhaps technology has just improved. If you're able to test them out in a store before buying then definitely do that to see if the hissing bothers you. If absolute clarity is important to you, then just go for wired headphones. If you care more about being able to move around then the hissing isn't very bothersome.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]