5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Stream 205 - the best radio I've ever owned!, 19 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Robert Stream 205 Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio - Black (Electronics)
I have been a radio listening enthusiast for over 30 years and decided that I needed an internet radio that I could use without the computer. I was at first divided between the Roberts 202 and the Pure Evoke Flow. From the reviews I read the Pure seemed to be popular, although I found many reviews which said that they could go wrong easily. So I went to my local electrical store and listened to both the Roberts 202 and the Pure Evoke. There was no competition really. The Roberts sounded great while the Pure sounded muddy. The only problem was that the shop had sold out of the Roberts and also I had heard that the button layout on the 202 was a little fiddly.

So I went home and did another internet search and stumbled across the Roberts 205. It looked similar to the 202 but the buttons were laid out better and from what I could see, it had only been on the market for a couple of months. 2 days later my radio arrived and I can honestly say that its the best radio I have ever owned. Despite there being no dials to change the treble and bass, the sound was perfect straight out of the box.

So, what's so great about this little radio?

Well, for starters, I can pretty much pick up any internet radio station I want. Although there are only 5 preset button for internet radio (and 5 for FM and DAB too), I found that the best feature on this radio is that there is a section for favourites and also new stations that I have found myself. For anyone who doesnt already know, you can use this radio in conjunction with a website called the 'Frontier Silicon Wi-Fi Portal.' You log onto the Portal and enter your radio's specific code (which is found in the help menu on the radio) and once that is done you can browse their already extensive library of stations and add them to your favourites and also add new ones into your 'added stations' that are not already in their database. Then you just fire up your radio - go to favourites or added stations and the new stations are there. You can even sort your favourite stations into your own categories. Also remember that this radio has DAB, FM and you can use it with Last FM - you can hook up your MP3 to it and control it from the radio too!

My friend happened to visit on the day I got the radio and he was so impressed that he was going to get one too. If you like music that isnt really played a lot on the radio (especially in the UK) like Jazz, Heavy Metal, or Alternative, then this radio is for you. You can go to the station list and then you get a list of genres to browse. There are literally thousands of stations ready to go.

To give you an idea of some of the stuff I have found in just 3 days, by using the radio together with the Portal website, I have listened to the Police in California, Anchorage air traffic control, NASA mission control, BBC podcasts, paranormal radio stations (which you wouldnt hear on anything other than a radio like this), Ham radio and many stations from around the world. The radio is easy to use and has categories for continents, countries and genres. I want to also mention that whoever wrote the instructions did a fantastic job - they are the best set of instructions Ive read!

I knew this radio was going to be good because it is a Roberts - a name famous for making reliable radios - but the 205 far exceeded my expectations. There is even a setting so you can set the strength of light for the display - both when it is on and when it is standby. There are 2 alarms (which can be set to buzzer or any of the radio stations and can have different settings for week days and weekends) and a sleep timer too.

If you are looking for a nice sounding, easy to use internet radio then you will not go far wrong with the Roberts 205. I'm not sure about the guys review on here who said the radio was fiddly to use. I soon got used to selecting the sleep feature and other stuff - it quickly becomes second nature. I think I made the right choice - I stumbled across a forum the other day of former Pure internet radio users who had decided to buy Roberts because their old radios were unreliable or had broken.

Take my advice - for the money I dont think you will buy better than this radio!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Jan 2012 16:34:21 GMT
gardener says:
Thanks Dave for detail info., Appreciated, as I am about to purchase...Mary.

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 18:04:54 GMT
Simon King says:
Thanks for the info: 'Frontier Silicon Wi-Fi Portal.' makes the radio even better. Great site and easy to use

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 01:20:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Apr 2012 01:45:23 BDT
T. Costick says:
Hi Dave. Excellent review. I'm seriously interested in getting one of these :)

I took a look at the user guide, available as a PDF from the Roberts web site, and was interested to see the Stream 205 supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance), although it's not listed as such. In the user guide it's referred to as the "Windows 7 'Play To' function".

With a Windows 7 PC (earlier versions too, I think, but not so easy to set up) you can play music from Windows Media Player and hear it on the Stream 205. I'm particularly interested because this would also allow playback control from my Android phone using a suitable app (e.g. BubbleUPnP, which I now have installed), with the music coming from any DLNA device on the LAN. I guess there are iPhone apps that would do the same.

I hadn't experimented with DLNA before (or the Windows 'Play To' feature), but this sounds like another nice feature. It seems an oversight of Roberts not to include "DLNA" somewhere in the tech spec, for those that are looking for it.

I'd be interested to know whether you've tried this with your Stream 205. If so, what do you think of it?

Posted on 10 Oct 2012 07:37:50 BDT
nick1960 says:

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 15:56:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2012 15:57:48 GMT
L. Bentell says:
For T. Costick:
I use Twonky as DLNA server on the NAS where the music is stored. It works fine. I only found one app on Android marked that works well as a remote for this combination (well, two...but Twonky's own app looks too boring) and it is called MediaHouse. The Pro version has volume control that works as well, so DLNA is correctly implemented by Roberts.
I think that you're supposed to include radio stations in your DLNA server as well, but I haven't figured out how to do that, so I use the Frontier Silicon thing for now. It works, but feels a bit hillbilly.

Posted on 9 Mar 2013 12:57:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Mar 2013 12:59:28 GMT
actic3 says:
Hi Dave, thanks a lot for your tip with wifi-frontier! I'm from germany and ordered me a model i83 last week over http://amazon.co.uk. They deliver it very fast from somewhere in germany but with the british price which is 100€ lower the german distributor. Didn't knew that time about model 205. Well it maybe would be the better choice. Anyway i love my new radio like you do. And with wifi-frontier i just have activated my love is exploding. The Roberts quality is really a gas. I've read somewhere the same chipset is also used by a turkish manufactor who has reactivated the famous german brand Grundig some years ago. The radio they offer on amazon.de is same price range, but no stereo speakers, no dab. Also the comments speak about shifting quality, soft and hardware. Roberts rules!

Posted on 28 Apr 2013 10:32:14 BDT
Freddie says:
Hi Dave,

Do you know if one can listen to BBC 5 Live when outside of the UK using this radio?

Regards,
Kevin

Posted on 19 Jan 2014 09:09:24 GMT
Twid says:
Hi Dave

You're obviously a man who knows this product inside out. I've just received and set up my radio but and love the sound quality etc, but am experiencing problems with Classic FM. It keeps dropping out and I get 'connecting' every 30 seconds or so. This doesn't happen to any other station - any ideas? Classic FM is the station my husband likes listening too the most so it's really annoying. Of course all this has happened at a weekend so I can't ring Roberts to ask their help.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on 2 May 2014 21:58:30 BDT
Mike Mac says:
Thanks for this excellent,comprehensive review. I've now bought one to take to our summer home in the Algarve, where we recently lost all satellite TV/radio coverage when Astra 2E moved. Internet is definitely the way to go.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›