1.0 out of 5 stars Really not worth the money, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8211/02 Rechargeable Power Flosser (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have very tightly packed teeth so I've always had a problem cleaning between the gaps since I can't even get dental floss between most of them. I do have a water flosser which works brilliantly, but with the water shooting everywhere does tend to be a bit messy, so this sounded ideal.

I was slightly less convinced when it arrived and I unpacked it, the unit is surprisingly bulky considering how little water it holds and for some unknown reason it has to be charged for a full 24 hours prior to first use.

So unit plugged in and charging while I read the instructions, which were nicely detailed. Second issue. The instructions state that it's not designed to remove large or sticky food from between teeth. Yes I expect to have to clean my teeth with a toothbrush first, but if it can't remove sticky food (the kind probably most likely to be stuck in the gaps in the first place) why would someone be paying 70 for this?

Having already been used to a water flosser, using the unit was quite easy and didn't involve any pain or bleeding, although I'd imagine both could be possible if you have tender gums until they toughen up after a few uses. The unit was easy enough to use, position, point and press. Pretty straight forward. I have to say my teeth didn't feel particularly clean afterwards, certainly not like they do when I use a water flosser and even after struggling with dental floss I usually feel more of a difference than I did with the AirFloss

I did find during use, whilst a water flosser will sluice out between the teeth and under the gums, the Airfloss can only be used from the front, so no cleaning the back of any teeth. The design is really only suitable as a direct replacement for dental floss, trying to force out debris from between the base of teeth, trying to clean under the gumline is impossible.

It may just be my mouth, but I found it almost impossible to get the AirFloss in place for my molars, the angle of the head meant my cheek was in the way so I couldn't line up the head with the gap and ended up just flossing the molars themselves, not the gaps between.

In all, a good idea, but a very poor design that really isn't going to replace flossing at all. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anybody and most definitely not for the current price. If you can cope with a bit of mess (not much once you get the knack) I'd suggest a water flosser, if not I'd recommend saving your money and sticking with dental floss I'm afraid.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2013 10:29:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2013 10:30:15 BDT
Great review. I like you have most of my teeth very close together. I use those flexible rubbery interdental which are very good. I have considered the Water Pik, but wasn't sure if it would be a bit of a "red herring". Seems this item is just another gadget that isn't necessary!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 10:50:46 BDT
Ren says:
Thank you I'm glad it was helpful. I actually use the Waterpik WP250 Nano Water Flosser, I couldn't get away with the interdental brushes, but that I would happily recommend, it's frightening how much food it flushes out from around the teeth and under the gumline. It did take some practice to not be hosing down all the bathroom walls at the same time, but once you get the knack it's not all that messy.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 11:14:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2013 11:21:08 BDT
Many thanks for the link/one you have found successful. I have a lot of probs with my teeth so the ones I have left I want to try and keep for as long as possible:-)

Just editing my post as After looking at the link I see you need a shaver socket to run it off (obvious now I think about it!). Unfortunately it looks like this model is not going to be a viable option:-(

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 11:40:05 BDT
Ren says:
Sorry for the delay, my mother is in a similar position with her teeth and already uses a sonic toothbrush. However both she and her dentist have noticed an improvement in gum health since I got her using the Water Flosser.

If it's any help, we don't have any shaver sockets either, so we have an adaptor plug in a small extension reel that's easy enough to plug in a socket and run into the bathroom for the duration of the cleaning.

I don't know about other makes, but Waterpik also do cordless versions. I wasn't too keen on the one I tried a few years ago, but mostly because I had to refill it several times per clean.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 10:04:33 GMT
M. BERNARD says:
Mains powered water picks such as the Kitty Hydro Floss or Waterpik Nano are more effective than any battery powered device. Their only disadvantage is the need to use them over a sink due to the amount of water used and this therefore requires a safe mains supply in the bathroom.

A shaver socket is safe as it uses an isolated mains supply, protecting the user in the event of an electrical fault. Running a mains extension lead into a bathroom is not a good idea! The danger can be mitigated somewhat by ensuring the extension is protected by an RCD (like the devices used on an electric lawn mower in the garden). At least the RCD will, hopefully, trip out before anyone is electrocuted in the event of a fault. Remember water is conductive!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 19:58:41 GMT
Anna says:
For the molars area try to keep the Airfloss on horizontal position. It is impossible not to be able to rich the inter-dental space like this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›