5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful experience, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001] (Blu-ray)
I was gifted this special edition blu-ray by my better half, despite her lack of interest and my having 'gone-on' about LOTR since seeing the films at the cinema on their release. Has it really been so many years?!
Having watched this extended version, I have to say I am lost for words. I honestly could find no fault with them whatsoever... except perhaps they're a bit short! I felt compelled to re-read the books immediately afterwards (including The Hobbit) and was struck by how the imagery and experience of the films resonated so strongly with the story in words. While most films can only attempt to give a limited interpretation of their source material, this is quite different in that it has truly added extra dimension and clarity to it. I think JRR Tolkien would approve.
The decision to split this into 6 discs worked very well for me. I only watched one disc a day, as there is so much in each that I simply needed time to absorb and reflect on it. Except when I'd finished the 5th disc I couldn't wait to start watching the last one!
I having only today finished the "making-of" documentaries, which are truly exceptional. I have the feeling that the cast and crew will be as fond of this collection as the fans, as I sure was intended. It is certainly something to be immensely proud of. It's been an uplifting experience.

I think Peter Jackon's words at the end about this being a 'home-made' movie were quite extraordinary; but he's right, Hollywood could have never done this, and I cannot think of anyone else who could have carried this off. I'm still astonished that anyone did!

If I had to play 'desert island discs' this is the film I'd have, no question.

This famous trilogy has shown what is possible with a faithful adaptation, and it seems (rightly so) to have given Jackson permission (by everyone - fans included) to take some far more adventurous diversions with "The Hobbit". I am very much looking forward to seeing it in the cinema next month.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]