5.0 out of 5 stars 4:13 Dream.... the best dream I ever had, 22 Oct 2008
This review is from: 4:13 Dream (Audio CD)
Well, I tried to stay away from the Internet until the album official release, but the curiosity got the better out of me... The only excuse is that I'm going to buy the CD anyway (all 4 singles & Hypnagogic States EP are already on my book shelf, thanks to Amazon.co.uk and German S&M) =)

What can I say? "4:13 Dream" gets better with every listen. Interesting, sometimes heart-wrenching lyrics, the music you can't get out of your head... Awesome guitar and bass parts, all kinds of sounds that make you wonder, experimental, unusual vocals (You can argue with Robert's choices on that matter as long as you want to - it wouldn't change the fact that he really thought over all the nuances...). What else can you wish for?

But I have to warn you - "4:13 Dream" is not as "accessible" as some people might think. It seems to be pretty upbeat - mostly, but the lyrics are not (with some exception, of course), Robert managed to wrap a serious, sad, honest words (he sounds like it all is heartfelt) into bright, feathery melody (The Reasons Why, The Hungry Ghost). This kind of album will not be the love at first sight - it makes you listen attentively and think hard, only then you will really HEAR it.

When I saw the track-list for the first time, I was worried it wouldn't work, making "4:13 dream" a compilation of the new material instead of a proper album. I was wrong. The track-list is just the way it should be, all the singles fitted perfectly. The record might not be smooth... still it is cohesive, not as monolithic as Bloodflowers, but very solid nevertheless. The shortest 52+ minutes of my life. And after the album ends, you want to play it again. Immediately.

I was surprised that some people who hated "the Cure 2004" liked this record, because it's like a balance between Wild Mood Swings complicated landscapes and rawness of the self-titled. The traces of Wish and HOTD are evident here, too. Still it sounds fresh.

Favourite tracks: UTS (of course! It's mind-blowing and ethereal...), The Reasons Why (Rome live version was softer but I got over it quickly enough - those who refused to listen to 4:13 Dream live before studio release were right - don't let the concert to ruin your experience, this piece is really brilliant), Sirensong (the most romantic 2 minutes 22 seconds on this record), The Hungry Ghost (I love the chorus and don't understand what the negative fuss is all about), Switch ("And I'm tired of being alone with myself/ And I'm tired of being with anyone else" - one of the best lyrics ever), This-Here-And-Now-With-You (The Rome show doesn't do any justice to this wonderful song, believe me!), Sleep When I'm Dead (clearer and dreamier than mix 13), Scream (Lost + Forever = masterpiece).

Or should I say "most favourite"? No filler for me here. Skip button goes to Hell...!

Classic? Experimental? One step forward? Back to roots? I don't know but I absolutely love it...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]