3.0 out of 5 stars Not as disturbing as I had hoped for, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Last House On The Left: Extended Version [DVD] (DVD)
I haven't seen the original of this re-make, so I can't comment on whether it's an improvement. I did read quite a few reviews of this movie, and on the basis of this, I was looking forward to being disturbed, frightened and possibly even offended!

The film is certainly gripping, and the first half an hour isfairly relaxed, with the main focus on being getting to know the characters, developing a sense of empathy with them for what is later going to happen. The movie was very good in this sense, as you did feel something for the two teenaged females, rather than being completely detached as in some other horrors. You do feel like something bad is on its way though, but you're not quite sure what, so I enjoyed the not knowing here.

When the "bad thing" does happen with the two victims, this is a particularly distressing scene. It's not hugely graphic, but it's enough to make you think, 'Why am I enjoying watching this?' These scenes were reasonably drawn out, which made them more uncomfortable. I did find myself drawing similaries between this scene and those in 'Eden Lake', which is, in my opinion, a much more uncomfortable and terrifying film (in a good way!).

After this difficult scene, I wondered where the film was going, but soon enough, you find that perpetrators have made their way to the home of the parents of one of the victims, having looked for shelter from the storm. Whilst, from this point on, the film was filled with suspense and a sense of dread, I did think that some of the scenes were a little daft. My main problem was that I couldn't appreciate why the two parents - having found out that the people to whom they had offered shelter in the annex were guilty of terrible crimes against their daughter - did not evacuate the house as soon as possible; I know that they were six miles from the nearest town, didn't have a car, etc., but for my money, I'd sooner give that a go, knowing that I've got a good five or six hours in which to get the hell out of there, than confronting four (three if you exclude the frightened son of the main perpetrator!) baddies! But then, I suppose the question of the film is that you don't know what you're capable of when you're in that situation.

Once the parents take the decision to exact revenge, I did wonder if the film was going down a similar route to that in a lesser-known film, 'The Tortured', where two parents set out to capture and torture the molestor and murderer of their toddler. I was quite looking forward to that possibility! However, the film instead descends into a bit of a cat-and-mouse affair, and this is where I began to lose interest a little. It was still gripping, but it just became a bit too predictable.

The final scene was, however, completely unexpected. Again, I thought that I would see some prolonged torture scenes, but it was all over too quickly for my liking!

All in all, a decent enough film, but I was expecting more graphic revenge scenes than what was actually delivered - not that that was the fault of the film, of course. I much preferred 'Eden Lake' though. I will be watching 'I Spit On Your Grave' in due course - I understand that this may deliver on the 'graphic scene' expectation!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]