4.0 out of 5 stars Close (enough), 20 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Influence: Hits, Singles, Moments, Treasures (Best Of) (Audio CD)
I hesitated for about a week before buying this as I have always found Art Of Noise compilations somewhat disappointing but succumbed at the prospect of having the original single version of Close (to the Edit) finally on CD - even the recent-ish Ministry of Sound 80's Electronic Anthems comp used an abridged album version. I can clearly remember the evening I first saw AON perform this track on 'Top of the Pops' and I was just blown away and kept rewinding the video to watch again. I do regard this as one of the pivotal moments in my life that shaped my musical taste so, for me, Influence is a good title.

And this is a good collection too as disk one contains most (not all) of their single releases which it is such a pleasure to hear again (I had all their albums on vinyl which have, along with the record-player, long gone and only have In Visible Silence on CD) and disk two contains new to CD or unreleased tracks to appeal to the more serious collector. Like most compilations though, it is not quite perfect in my opinion. I don't understand why we have extended versions of Paranoimia and Metaforce on disk one as I do not feel they are an improvement over the single versions whereas the versions of Legs and Dragnet here are spot on; and of all the tracks from the In No Sense? Nonsense! period, why Acton Art?? It just doesn't flow as a track and, to me, belongs more on disk two.

My main criticism though is the issue of ZTT vs China records. The two ZTT albums obviously dominate the track listings and whilst that is completely understandable in the case of the incredible debut album, the other - The Seduction of Claude Debussy, though not without merit, was not a hit yet there is a lot of it here at, I feel, the expense of the China years.

That aside, this is still great influential music worth adding to your collection - for me, an absolute joy to hear again. And the packaging too with its reproduced artwork from over the years and a great booklet with lots of notes compiled by real enthusiast - what's not to like?

One final note - on Close (to the edit) here, I think there is still a slight difference at one point to the original 7" single or how I remember it - anyone any comments?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Dec 2010 16:54:58 GMT
Cook Derek says:
You're right - Close (to the Edit) here is a slightly extended version of the 7", possibly released in the States perhaps. It's a new one on me and makes this compilation even more exciting. But if it's the pure 7" on cd you're looking for, I finally found it here: Vol. 14-New Wave Hits of the 8. It is identical to my vinyl 7"!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2010 21:48:14 GMT
Thanks for that. Glad to know it wasn't just me, I certainly feel I played the single so many times as to know every note but it has been many years since I disposed of my vinyl collection. I'll check out your reference - thanks again for replying.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 09:45:06 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Jan 2012 09:45:31 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 09:45:41 GMT
The US single version is the LP version with an early fade, where as the UK single version is edited and has the proper ending.

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 16:52:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2013 17:42:01 BDT
Okay, I'm changing my previous comment. After further examination using a sound editing tool, this is the UK 7" edit, with about 8 extra bars of beat (~9 sec) thrown in at about 1:13 and again at 2:10. Everything else seems exactly the same.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›