5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of kit, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Philips HTL5120/12 Wireless Soundbar Speaker with 120W Integrated Subwoofer/Orientation Sensor (Electronics)
For the price, you really can't complain. I got this in the Amazon lightning sales and at £180, it is arguably a steal. I have been looking at soundbars for a few months and originally had my heart set out for a Roth Sub Zero - which I would have purchased had I not seen this.

Why the HTL5120 over the Sub Zero? Well 2xHDMI inputs and a HDMI (ARC), plus bluetooth swung the deal for me. I had the intention of purchasing an AV receiver in addition to the Roth, but with this soundbar, I don't need to. I have a mac mini and Xbox 360 as inputs into the soundbar, with a HDMI out to the TV. Unfortunately my TV does not have ARC but the optical cable (bought separately) settles this problem.

How does it sound? Pretty good. Our flat is relatively small and it handles music and movies very well - so much so my girlfriend told me to turn the bass down during a movie. For a small flat or room, it's ideal. Considering there's no sub, I've been very impressed with the range of sounds and the clarity. This has replaced our TV speakers and does a great job. Background sounds that would normally be drowned out can now be heard.

Bluetooth- a doddle to set up and pair with any of your devices. Once paired or connected the soundbar produces a single tone to tell you it's ready, then just play your music. So far i've thoroughly enjoyed having the music stream wirelelessly.

Controls - relatively simple to understand but I'd thoroughly advise reading the manual first as having no LCD panel makes things slightly more difficult to work with. However, I do like the stealthy look it provides without an LCD.

Design - looks awesome. Rather than a rectangular bar, it has some curves and fits very well in the flat. We've opted not to wall mount ours but brackets do come with this and you can do so.

Unlike others who have reviewed, mine came with a UK 3 pin plug so please don't be frightened off from ordering now if you're thinking about buying this!

Overall: very very happy. For my needs and requirements, it's perfect. Girlfriend didn't want wires to speakers all over the flat so this was the best solution, otherwise a 5.1 system would obviously overide this. Not needing a sub also has that added bonus. HDMI and bluetooth connections are very handy. Thoroughly recommended.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]