4.0 out of 5 stars More substantial than the Thane X5, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Vax Steam Mop S7 2-in-1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I borrowed a Thane X5 Steam Mop from a friend to see if I would get on with them before I bought one, and although it did the job I was a little worried about the flimsiness of the handle. When I was maneuvering it round bends, the handle was bending and I was concerned it may snap. The reviews of the Vax mop said the handle was strong and firm, and they are right.

I bought this in an Amazon flash sale for £54 which is much better value that the Thane at £99. It is a little heaver but I assume that's because its better made. The instructions were a little vague regarding how to attach the nozzles for the hand held function but I worked it out myself. I have used the hand-held for cleaning my oven and shower and its a bit hard on the fingers holding the button down when doing a lengthy job.

My oven was in a poor state and scouring it with brillo pads didn't make much impact, but the small scraper and wire brush on the steam cleaner have transformed it. It isn't a miracle machine; I had to take my time and work on a small area at a time, but the shine is finally back after 9 years!

As far as the mop goes, I expected the velcro pad to self- attach like the X5 but it doesn't, you just put the mop on top of it and set off. I expected it to come off whilst mopping, but it doesn't, it remains in place no matter how hard I pushed it about. The mop lifted dried on food and marks off my kitchen wooden floor really easily- I would have to scrub by hand when using a standard mop. Most of my rooms downstairs have wooden floors (hall, large kitchen Diner, bathroom, conservatory, utility) and I can whip round them on less than a tank of water. Its impossible to empty the water tank, as mentioned in a previous review but I dont think it will be an issue. The floors are not left dry, but much drier than when using a normal mop and bucket, and no streaks. I have not used it on windows yet, but I have been advised that I will have to wipe them down with a cloth as I go, to prevent drips and streaks, but it gets them nice and clean apparently.
I wanted spare velcro pads so looked on the Vax spares website but did not find them listed, so got them from Amazon.
Overall, I am glad I bought the Vax over the Thane, its much better made.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Nov 2014 16:07:41 GMT
ron says:
A fantastic Vax steam mop vastly superior quality than the overpriced and lower quality build Thane mop,Purchased my Vax at Currys for good reason I had purchased a Thane mop without scrutinising the product I Paid £99.99 and thoroughly regretted the purchase.I complained about the flimsy handle and fobbed off,the mop head broke a day out of guarantee and charged about £20+pp?.When the body leaked and the flexitube connectors inside the water container came apart,Thane said return the body +£39.99 if Repairable ok but if Unrepairable (NO Refund) however for £59.99 they will send out a new body WHAT!!!! I have written proof of all the emails,well i threw away the mop and about a week later I got an email denying the above statement and would exchange the body (on repair) I have email proof of the deceit of Thane customer services .
The Vax steam mop is superior in design,quality and far cheaper than that Thane mop could ever be,I would recommend Vax to anyone never again will I buy a product without first checking out the build quality reviews etc. My Vax was cheaper as it was just the last one and was on show,also I will never purchase anything from cheap Thane again!!! (Nice one VAX)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2015 19:08:15 GMT
Cailin says:
I have to agree with Ron. I too have a Thane and it no longer steams - after about 6 uses. On eBay while looking for a replacement, I see there are LOTS of them that no longer steam adn are for sale for parts, and on the Thane website they say there are lots of imitations out there , but I think they're just covering up for a really poor but expensive product.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2015 13:21:12 BDT
ATG says:
I had similar experience with Thane customer service!
Wouldn't buy Thane product ever!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›