5.0 out of 5 stars Value For Money - Excellent Guitar To Learn With, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: EPIPHONE SG SPECIAL EBONY Electric guitars SG (Electronics)
I have had around ten lessons and decided that I needed to upgrade from my 1980's strat-a-like that I bought second hand to something new. I shortlisted this model from some extensive internet searches and YT video etc. along with other models, all from Epiphone. The guarantee that comes with all Epiphone, and parent company Gibson, is excellent so I wanted a part of that.

The sensible approach for me was to get to a music shop and try my shortlist out against each other in direct comparison. So I looked at two styles of guitar, the SG and the Les Paul and also looked at variations from cheaper to more expensive. These were all played through a really swish Orange amp, much better than my crappy practice amp at home so they all sounded good.

So, I initially found that there was - to my ears - little difference between this model and the SG310. In terms of playing them, there was no difference, other than the additional tone & volume controls on the more expensive model. Will I use them? Maybe. Could I use the extra £50 elsewhere? Definitely! So the SG selection was made.

Then I tried the Les Paul models as a comparison. To me, I always thought the Les Paul guitars were the archetypal rock legend guitars and were therefore quite aspirational. I started at the budget end with the Les Paul Special 2 and found this quite easy to get along with, but noticeably a bit weedy or thin in sound compared to the other guitars I tried. It was okay, but no better than that. The Les Paul 100 from Epiphone was noticeably warmer in tone, with miles more sustain. I hardly play more than a handful of chords at this point but I couldn't choose the cheaper model on hearing this. The truth is that I recently had a go with a LP Standard and the LP 100 suffered in comparison to that. As I say, I aspire to own an LP at some point, so when I am good enough, I will buy a more expensive model.

Which brings me back to my lovely shiny ebony SG. I chose this because of the above reasons, but also because setting out on the road of guitar playing is really hard work; I'm in my forties and don't have hours on end to devote to my playing. This means that investing heavily in something that I may never get the best out of seems a bit ridiculous. My SG sounds great. My SG looks great and it will grow with my ability.

The downside, if there is one, is that it came quite poorly setup, with the bridge adjusted right the way up, so I couldn't really get it in tune. My guitar tutor had a fiddle and got it into shape. He reckons that the truss rod will need tweaking, too, to get the best out of it. He was massively impressed with the sound and feel of the SG Special, especially at the pricepoint. He's been playing for 20+ years and if this is good enough for a professional, it's good enough for me!

For a hundred and thirty quid, this is a died in the wool great piece of kit. If you can play guitar to a good standard, you will have or want to buy a better model, with better pickups and tuners etc. If you are not of said good standard, then this would serve you very well indeed.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]