4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing earth (or ear) shattering but solid, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
After the recent disappointment of The Killers Battle Born and to a lesser extent The Darkness' Hot Cakes I was set for another let down with Green Day's Uno. Well, I tried to convince myself not to get my hopes up, anyway.....
Would releasing three albums mean there'd be too much filler?
First impressions when listening through Uno is there there's nothing bad on here. No duds. If on first listen there's nothing to turn me off then on each listen the songs can only get better!! Right? However, is there anything here truly A grade memorable? Time will tell.
I don't think I'll ever love Kill The DJ but that seems to be the only slight blemish on what's a very agreeable album. It sounds like a mesh of Nimrod and Warning to me but with less variation in sounds.
I shall now repeat repeat repeat and come back......

I'm back after a weekend of heavy listening and all I can say is I'm quite pleased!! 2012 isn't the write-off it was turning out to be!!
Highlights for me are:
Nuclear Family is a great opener
Let Yourself Go - classic GD
Fell For You is maybe the highlight for me
Troublemaker feels like a track from Warning
Oh Love - not the most original creation but catchy.

The other tracks are all great tunes as well:
Stay The Night though is perhaps a bit overlong
Carpe Diem is like how Jesus of Suburbia would sound if it were from Warning
Kill The DJ is catchy - I admit it.
Loss Of Control is more classic GD
Angel Blue could be a lost Dookie track
Sweet 16 is as the title suggests: sweet.
As for filler, there's none really. Maybe Rusty James (or is it Gloria?) is the only lesser track. It's nice but not in the class of the other tracks - perhaps it's too familiar sounding.

Uno isn't 5 star like American Idiot or 21st Century (maybe too heavy on a verse/chorus format and there's nothing really innovative here) but it's still a quality release. It's an album of singles but not `smash hit' singles and has elements of all previous Green Day albums.
Can't wait for the next two albums......

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Sep 2012 09:04:57 BDT
Davids says:
dissapointment in battleborn? best album i ever heard!!

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 13:45:43 BDT
"Weekend"

Yet it was released today?

Posted on 25 Sep 2012 13:45:47 BDT
G Tinkler says:
It wasnt only me that thought the same of Rusty James & Gloria then :)

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 11:57:21 BDT
M. I. Watts says:
That is the beauty of Amazon. They do sometimes deliver items before the release date but that's not intentional, more to do with making sure the customer gets the item on the day its released.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2012 12:30:32 BDT
I know that, but I'm just saying that the reviewer probably illegally downloaded it. At least say "oh I've got it in the post early"

Idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 11:08:56 BDT
Or listened to it legally through Spotify?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 21:59:24 BDT
M. I. Watts says:
Hope that wasn't a dig at me? Why would anyone need to say it came in the post early? I'm more interested in the music itself.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 08:26:54 BDT
I'm not.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (105 customer reviews)

Reviewer